Options

Network+ Preparation Dilemma

aznluvsmcaznluvsmc Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've been studying for Network+ using All-In-One Exam Guide by Mike Meyers. I've read the whole book in 2 weeks and I basically understand everything I read (I also have previous knowledge from my college program in Network Administration).

I am able to score 90%-100% on the book's practice exams. I scored 100% on the free Cert21.com Network+ exam (5 questions), I scored 100% on the TechExams.net Network+ exam and OSI exams.

I tried using the BeachFrontQuizzer software but consistently scored about 750 (fail) since the program required 800 (pass). But in my view some of the questions and answers on the program are ridiculous.

For example one question was "The client cannot communicate with the server. What is one troubleshooting method to rule out a variable?"
The answer for that question was "User a crossover cable to connect the client to the server." In my opinon that is ridiculous and most likely impossible in a real network environment.

THe All-In-One book also did not mention ICA and RDP protocols which is appearing in my Network+ practice exams? Do you think I should still take the test now or should I get another book such as Sybex?

I basically understand all the concepts mentioned on CompTIA's website except for VLAN's (which I will look into). Concepts such as the OSI model, collision & broadcast domains and all that stuff is a walk in park. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I would say take the exam and don't waste your money on another book because it seems to me you don't need it.
    For example one question was "The client cannot communicate with the server. What is one troubleshooting method to rule out a variable?"
    The answer for that question was "User a crossover cable to connect the client to the server." In my opinon that is ridiculous and most likely impossible in a real network environment.

I actually did this... once... users had a hard time connecting to an 'externally managed" financial server (Exact), it was either slow or users simply couldn't connect. While they could connect to other servers connected to the same wiring and switches I came to the conclusion it was a problem at the server (faulty nic is assumed), since they hired some 'experts' costing twice as much as I did to install and configure the server they just couldn't believe that, until I took my manager to the server room and connected my notebook directly to the server using a cross-over cable and 'proofed' it was a problem at the server. This way I simply ruled out every possible cause besides the server itself... I agree with you, ridiculous someone should go to that trouble... and this probably wouldn't be a "CompTIA-approved-approach" either icon_wink.gif

I'm working on the next Net+ TechNote which includes this piece about ICA:
    ICA 

The Citrix Independent Computing Architecture (ICA) protocol is used for remote connections to advanced terminal servers such as Citrix Metaframe. A client will be able to run all kinds of applications on the terminal server, the ICA protocol is used to transfer the screen output back to the client and mouse and keyboard input from the client to the server. This would allow a computer with a minimal configuration, for example a 486, to run Office 2000 or other applications that would normally not run on the computer due to hardware limitations. This concept is know as Thinnet. It's like connecting dosens of keyboards, mice and monitors to a single computer using a network connection and allowing multiple users to use different applications, in their own private workspace on the server, at the same-time.

I basically understand all the concepts mentioned on CompTIA's website except for VLAN's

Follow this link to our Network components TechNote, it covers pretty much everything you need to know about VLANs for the Net+ exam.
    www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/networkcomponents.shtml

Good luck!

Johan
  • Options
    aznluvsmcaznluvsmc Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input. I was starting to doubt whether I was ready for this exam or not. I'm pretty confident I have a chance to score 100% on the exam. I'm gonna schedule it for May 3.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Good luck on the exam, I'm sure you'll do fine :) Let us know how it went...