70-270 test report

winky51winky51 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
My test was 45 questions and 130m. Time was fine for taking the test. They give you a sheet at the end to tell you how well you did on what sections. Pretty nice. They only allow a dry marker and dry marker board which they provide. The test provides a calculator also if needed (windows calc)

I scored 583 and was quite disappointed after 3 months of studying. I used lots of internet resources and exam cram. I studied also from a network+ book to refamilarize with certain concepts.

I had a 14 page colored note sheet I made myself. I reread it and the exam cram sheet. I knew everything on both sheets.

Most of my test focused on ICS and GPOs. 25 of the questions I had to come up with the answer by eliminating other answers. I failed based on the complex menu system of ICS and firewall and the huge #s of GPO parameters I could never memorize yet for this test I needed to know them. If they gave me a menu simulation I could have answered the questions.

Most of my difficult questions showed 4 similar answers that you had to determine which was right. The answers were altered in syntax and menu access. So unless you actually did that specific task in hand many times you wouldnt know what to do. 5 questions were vague that even though I knew the answer it did not appear in the answers as I learned it.

Syntax: I had one question mentioning about installing a video driver. EDITED-The wording on the admins action was vague

The answers were equally confusing

One answer was syntaxly wrong slightly, the other the wording of the actual area was slightly off. Along with the vagueness I couldnt determine the answer.
---

Another questions the answer was obvious about mounting a drive to a folder on the C drive before I looked at the answers yet NONE of the answers even mentioned mounting a the new drive to a folder on the C drive. I reread the question 5 times and I didnt know how to answer it. I could be wrong but I think it tried to add the drive via GPOs

---

One question had me trying to connect a EDIT device that you would never connect to an XP PC. I have never heard of this kind of connection so I had to use logical reasoning.

---

~15 of the questions I had to draw out the scenario on my board to get a good idea of what the question was about. Most of the scenarios took what you should know and super detail it to some unusual circumstance that you would research or look up to do. The answers follow a menu sequence, which again, unless you did this every day you wouldnt know what syntax was right.

---

Most of the syntax questions went menu configurations that were many layers thick. Some of the questions focused on some user groups. I know there are a lot of user groups and I couldnt remember if, for example, "helpers" or "remote helpers" group was on the local PC as a default.
---

Another questions asked about Remote Assistance and had Remote Desktop answers for the firewall. I almost didnt realize the difference.

---

By question 20 I was doubting what I knew to the point I forgot if LMHOSTS was WINS or DNS.

- Syntax similar answers
- Menu driven answers for places you wouldnt memorize
- Taken general knowledge and specifying it to rare instances you wouldnt memorize.

NO diagram interaction
NO difficult command line questions
NO questions speficying VPN specific protocal encryptions
FEW questions on installations
NO questions on accessability

I feel I should have just taken 1000 practice questions and memorized the answers instead of learning the processes.

I have taken many of these types of Prometric MS (MCSE NT) tests and they all follow a similar pattern. Easy questions for the 1st 10 then they pound you then the last 10 they ease off again. I think there is a process where the more you get right the harder the question gets and vice versa.

I have studied test taking when I was going for an education degree and I find the MS tests bias.

Tests should not focus on wrong syntax answers where now the test taker has not only to focus on application of his knowledge but visual slippage of the physical writing. Its easy for humans to switch something visually from left to right on an exam.

like.... different switches for an answer are fair as long as they do something different.

winnt32.exe /xxxxx
winnt32.exe /yyyy
winnt32.exe /zzzzz

but syntax incorrect answers that force you to visually make sure the answer is accurate is bias.

wint32.exe /xxxxx /yyyyy
winnt_32.exe /yyyyy /xxxxx
winnt32.exe /xxxxx /yyyyy
winnt32.exe /xxxyy /yyyxx

Making test takers go through an elaborate menu process to get to an answer without actually having them do it via a visual example is bias. If you are not a visual person it will be very difficult. On every interview I have ever gone on the 1st thing out of the technical interviewers mouth is "I know its hard to remember menu settings without the PC in front of you..." and it applies to testing too.

So there you have it. Maybe I got a lot of hard questions, it sure felt like it. Many complicated misleading ones.

Comments

• pmmcateerpmmcateer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A few thoughts on what you wrote. First please don't disclose specific exam questions and answers you recall after the test, that is what the non-disclosure agreement you signed was put there for. I recommend you edit your post and take out those specific examples.

For studying strategy I don't think you will benefit much from studying a Network + book, there aren't that many areas where it would apply to the XP exam.

I have never heard of either the "Helpers" or "Remote Helpers" groups, did you mean something else?

About the different syntax and having to have done it multiple times to know, thats not necessarily true you just need to understand what you might be asked and what you should know before going in. Especially the winnt and winnt32 switches, you should know it like your birthday. My most important acronym in test taking is RTFQ (Read the friggin question!) There is no such thing as "Visual Slippage"...to me it is not bias to have questions like that in fact use it to your advantage. If you are paying attention it just eliminates two bad answers right? Thats why people say don't study the day before and get a good night sleep, so you are rested and focused and can pick up on little things like that.

Study up on the areas you were low on and stick with it. I took it 5 times before I passed, XP is not an easy exam at all. One test I'd score really high in some areas so I'd concentrate in others and then I'd bomb the ones I did well in before. Read the technotes on this site and get as much practice as you can and you will improve.

Best of luck,
    Patrick
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    winky51 wrote: »

Most of my difficult questions showed 4 similar answers that you had to determine which was right. The answers were altered in syntax and menu access. So unless you actually did that specific task in hand many times you wouldnt know what to do. 5 questions were vague that even though I knew the answer it did not appear in the answers as I learned it.
    So your complaint is that they want you to have experience actually doing it?

Syntax: I had one question mentioning about installing a video driver. It specified "after you reboot the PC you notice the name of the driver is XXXX, you have to change it back to the original" Ok so does reboot mean I logged in or not? Because if I didnt login I can do last known good, if I did I can roll back the driver. vague
    If you noticed something about the name of the driver or whatever, it sounds reasonable that you logged in.
    The answers were equally confusing
    I've taken a total of 10 MS tests in the past year. 95% of the time, their questions have two absolutely, positively, obviously wrong answers if you know the material.

One question had me trying to connect a cell phone to an XP PC. I have never heard of this kind of connection so I had to use logical reasoning.
    You've never heard of bluetooth?
    ~15 of the questions I had to draw out the scenario on my board to get a good idea of what the question was about. Most of the scenarios took what you should know and super detail it to some unusual circumstance that you would research or look up to do. The answers follow a menu sequence, which again, unless you did this every day you wouldnt know what syntax was right.
    I did this extensively on the 70-290 to "visualize" folder and share permissions. It helped me a lot. Again you seem to be complaining that they are testing you on having hands-on experience. It says right there in the objectives that you should have six months experience in an enterprise environment.
    Most of the syntax questions went menu configurations that were many layers thick. Some of the questions focused on some user groups. I know there are a lot of user groups and I couldnt remember if, for example, "helpers" or "remote helpers" group was on the local PC as a default.
    You should learn about default groups and what they are capable of then.
    Another questions asked about Remote Assistance and had Remote Desktop answers for the firewall. I almost didnt realize the difference.
    You don't sound like you were prepared at all for this test if you don't know the difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance.
    So there you have it. Maybe I got a lot of hard questions, it sure felt like it. Many complicated misleading ones.

Maybe you weren't prepared.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • winky51winky51 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    note taken and questions edited out---

Yea obviously I wasnt prepared. Im not going to defend attacks on what I thought of the test. But I will show an example of what I encountered on many questions.

--- made up question

X user has an old modem that is not working properly. You know the port speed is incorrect. You need to lower the the port speed. Where do you go to do this

A: Device manager, modem properties, advanced, change default preferences, port speed.
    B: Device manager, modem properties, modem, advanced port settings, port speed
    C: Device manager, modem properties, advanced, advanced port settings, port speed, port speed
    D: Device manager, modem properties, modem, change default preferences, port speed

Can you tell me without going to a PC which one is right? Ive maybe had to do this once in my life. Without a GUI I cant tell you which is right? Ask me a week from now after this post couldnt tell you which is right.

---

Im going to sign up for trancender and I got a new book that people had good reviews on. Hopefully that will help. According to trancender if I dont pass my 1st test they will refund the money. To me that seems strange but ok. I actually had 3 questions I remembered from practice exams word for word on the test. Like I said if I take enough of these "practice tests" I will have 1/2 the test memorized.

thanks pmmcateer, at least I have a better understanding what Im up against.
  • poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So your complaint is that they want you to have experience actually doing it?

If you noticed something about the name of the driver or whatever, it sounds reasonable that you logged in.

I've taken a total of 10 MS tests in the past year. 95% of the time, their questions have two absolutely, positively, obviously wrong answers if you know the material.

You've never heard of bluetooth?

I did this extensively on the 70-290 to "visualize" folder and share permissions. It helped me a lot. Again you seem to be complaining that they are testing you on having hands-on experience. It says right there in the objectives that you should have six months experience in an enterprise environment.

You should learn about default groups and what they are capable of then.

You don't sound like you were prepared at all for this test if you don't know the difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance.

Maybe you weren't prepared.

Agreed on all points. While some parts can be confusing, it sounds like the OP didn't REALLY know his stuff.. But I could be wrong on that.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
    I really thought about how I felt last night.

This was my 1st test in 10 years. My last ones were for MCSE 4.0 and while there were less resources the tests were NOT this hard. They were tough but I passed most of them in the 1st try, 2 on the 2nd try. They heavily relied on application of knowledge for design and troubleshoot common and uncommon situations. I used my knowledge quite effectively at the jobs I had from my MCSE.

This 70-270 was taking knowledge and placing you in situations which were rare and some of the answers given were the uncommon method of resolution, or in a few cases, word trickery/poorly worded question. I know XP quite well and I work with it EVERY DAY and Im damn good at solving problems.

I studied for 3 months and I knew all the notes. Im just going to have to pay for 100's of practice questions till I encounter enough real questions where I can pass by recognition. I think this method of learning is a scheme to make more money with the illusion of keep test prices the same for 12 years. Some places guarantee you pass or your money back, one place had a 5 day crash course to get your 2003 MCSE. No one can learn in 5 days sorry. In 1998 you studied, took your time, practiced on live models, you passed.

I will give kudos that the test gives ample time, there are no "none" or "all" answers, and they now say "select from 3" not "select all that apply" and not "D: all of the above, E: none of the above". All or none answers are bias unless presented for a specific type of question.

So yea you all are completely right, I was totally NOT prepared for the test in any way. And Im pissed they wrote the tests the way they did and thats why I bitched. The example I gave in my last post was a similarity to some of the questions I encoutered.

So who can tell me where I can go to get good "practice exams" so I can get this damn test out of my way?
  • gbadmangbadman Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□

So who can tell me where I can go to get good "practice exams" so I can get this damn test out of my way?

I found Self Test Software to be quite good while being reasonably priced.

With regard to the questions being unreasonable, I'm not sure I agree with your point. My major beef with MS exams is the long winded question wording. I believe the idea is to make you think in scenario mode, but I think it's just irrelevant and over the top.
    But it seems to me that the problem you have is that you simply haven't covered the material fully. If you've gone through the MS book and labbed as least a large part of it, then you should eventually pass after a few attempts.
    The example you gave, while being tricky, is not insanely unreasonable. The way I look at it, if it's in the book, however obscure or insignificant the detail, it's fair game for the exam. I've learned that from bitter experience.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties

-[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Harry Truman[/FONT]
  • TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    I really thought about how I felt last night.

This was my 1st test in 10 years. My last ones were for MCSE 4.0 and while there were less resources the tests were NOT this hard. They were tough but I passed most of them in the 1st try, 2 on the 2nd try. They heavily relied on application of knowledge for design and troubleshoot common and uncommon situations. I used my knowledge quite effectively at the jobs I had from my MCSE.

This 70-270 was taking knowledge and placing you in situations which were rare and some of the answers given were the uncommon method of resolution, or in a few cases, word trickery/poorly worded question. I know XP quite well and I work with it EVERY DAY and Im damn good at solving problems.

I studied for 3 months and I knew all the notes. Im just going to have to pay for 100's of practice questions till I encounter enough real questions where I can pass by recognition. I think this method of learning is a scheme to make more money with the illusion of keep test prices the same for 12 years. Some places guarantee you pass or your money back, one place had a 5 day crash course to get your 2003 MCSE. No one can learn in 5 days sorry. In 1998 you studied, took your time, practiced on live models, you passed.

I will give kudos that the test gives ample time, there are no "none" or "all" answers, and they now say "select from 3" not "select all that apply" and not "D: all of the above, E: none of the above". All or none answers are bias unless presented for a specific type of question.

So yea you all are completely right, I was totally NOT prepared for the test in any way. And Im pissed they wrote the tests the way they did and thats why I bitched. The example I gave in my last post was a similarity to some of the questions I encoutered.

Sorry to hear that, but I know EXACTLY how you feel. I failed 270 3 times. I have never failed any Microsoft or any exam for that matter that many times. It is ridiculously hard, and as you said they use a lot of tricky wording and manipulative scenarios. I actually contacted MCPhelp before with a complaint about this exam. I pretty much told them that this exam doesn't test how well one knows the OS but how well it can manipulate you. There's questions on there that has no business being on a client OS exam. But anyway I'm saying that to say I feel your frustration. If I were you, I'd move on and forget about XP. Because within a couple years it's gonna probably be gone or going away. You may want to consider Windows 7 at this point, even if you're going the MCSA/E route. From those that's taken 680 (Win7 exam) I hear it's easier and focuses primarily on the technology and not as manipulative as Microsoft's previous exams. And they say the wording and the scenarios are easier to understand. If you're going for both the MCSE and MCITP: SA/EA, then I'd say go choose Vista as your other client OS. Which I've also heard this exam is fairly easy. But if you must or just want to take the XP exam then I'd recommend Selftest Software. To me, it looks a lot like the actual exam. And in my opinion, once you start to score 80% or better you should be ready for the real exam.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • pmmcateerpmmcateer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea thats the misleading thing about this test, I too have worked with XP since it came out every day, which made me cocky thinking I could just go in and pass. The technotes again are great for this exam, if you can practice those you will be well on your way.

Also to take some pressure off...you know they brought back Second Shot right? But don't study (like I did) knowing if you don't pass oh well you get a free do over...get it done.

So why are you doing XP instead of Vista exam, I hear that one is easier. I did XP because I didn't care to learn Vista since we will never upgrade to Vista at work and still use XP.

Best of luck!
  • ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not looking forward to this exam. I can't wait till its behind me and I can move on to more interesting topics. Good luck on the next try.
    I did it because its whats in the field now. But I will relook at the certs and see if I can take Vista or W7. I actually dont own a copy of either. I would have to buy it and put it on my PC to play with it.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    You can download eval copies of W7 to test out. Or you might look into getting a Technet subscription so you have access to all of Microsoft's software for testing purposes.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
    Im going to email microsoft.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ronzilla wrote: »
    I am not looking forward to this exam. I can't wait till its behind me and I can move on to more interesting topics. Good luck on the next try.
    I found that doing 290 before 270 was beneficial for me.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Welp restudied Exam Cram, MS Press, B&W Study books by Donald and Chellis, Network+, Exam Cram 290, did all the excersizes by hand.....

I still cant pass the practice exams and I know god damn XP like the back of my hand. My test is today and I feel like Im going to fail.

The questions test menus, experience dependent answers, and word trickery. Its rediculous. And on top of that the practice exams have wrong answers. I feel like Im being tested on my ability to take a test not what I know.
  • MYSTYKRACERMYSTYKRACER Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found that doing 290 before 270 was beneficial for me.

I've heard people say this a couple of time now and it seems odd to me? Isn't 290 supposed to be "the beast" and 270 the easier test???

Although what seems more odd is that there seem to be a good share of GPO and AD questions mixed into the 270 client test! I understand that in the networked environment it's crucial to know how GPOs impact the client side environment, but some of the stuff I've seen on the practice tests goes a bit far in my opinion.

I wish the OP luck today! I definitely know how you feel, I've been studying for 270/271/272 w/ the MS Press and Exam Cram books for three months now. I've actually gotten to the point where I can actually pin point three questions on the MS Press practice test CD that are actually wrong. I guess that means I'm ready to take the test now I suppose . . .
    Well I passed with a 780. I got lucky and most of my questions actually applied my knowledge, shocker.

The ones I missed, of course, tricky wording and asking me one of 1000 specific GPO items. Not one menu question.

I did find 1/2 the questions applied my "lets remove the wrong answers" to get the answer. Stupid.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I passed with a 780. I got lucky and most of my questions actually applied my knowledge, shocker.

The ones I missed, of course, tricky wording and asking me one of 1000 specific GPO items. Not one menu question.

I did find 1/2 the questions applied my "lets remove the wrong answers" to get the answer. Stupid.

Congrats on the pass. I failed it a few years back and Im finally retaking it in a few weeks. Although my company is moving entirely to win7, Im taking 70-270 because of pride.
    Nice. I need to get W7 on my PC so I can play with it before I take that test.
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Congrats on slaying the beast although I think 291 is actually the beast. I just did 271 and 272 so now on to 270. I know it is almost pointless but I really want my MCSE by June and then I will upgrade it. My company is not moving to 7 until 2011.