Options

MCSA to MCITP:SA

Hi all,

I'm a little confused at the moment about upgrading my MCSA to MCITP:SA. I'm thinking of doing this and then also upgrading that to a EA.

The MCP cert planner is as ever as useful as a chocolate teapot but the sticky on this board suggests you need to take the 70-648 upgrade exam and the 646 exam, but this looks the same to me as starting fresh because the 648 is two exams in one sitting. I would prefer to take the 648 exams seperately which obviously I can do but I'm wondering where the upgrade is in all this as its no different from not having an MCSA and starting from scratch.

Also does anyone know if there is a sniff of the windows 7 exam 680 counting towards the EA instead of vista, I dont really want to bother with vista as it will more than likely never be used in corporateland.
Kind Regards
Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
Blog: vhorizon.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, the upgrade for that is essentially two exams in one. The upgrade from MCSE to EA is three. Those aren't full exams; they just draw material from that many areas.

You can use Windows 7 instead of Vista for the EA.
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Unfortunately that is the only upgrade path you can take. The purpose of the 648 exam is to upgrade your MCSA to MCTS on Windows Server. And then after that you take 646 (Pro Windows Server 2008 SA) to make you a MCITP: Server Administrator. And then from there, to get to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator you need 647 (Pro Windows Server 2008 EA) and a client operating system exam. You can choose between Windows 7 (680) or Vista (620). 624 is another Vista exam and is also a choice but it's going away so you don't have to worry about that one. But anyway, yeah definitely go the Windows 7 route, because Vista is about as useless as an empty canteen on a hot desert :p.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....