Options

Renew A+ by taking Net+?

PhillymanPhillyman Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got my A+ back in 2002 when it was an adaptive test and was supposed to NEVER expire. Fast forward to now and I find out that my A+ will expire every 3 years. The CompTIA website says that if you have multiple certifications through them, that you only have to take the hardest test to keep the others current. So does that mean that if I go take the Network+ test, that my A+ will renew for another 3 years?

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's the way that I read it. If you want to keep your A+ then take the Net+, and then in 3 years take your Security+.

But keep in mind that your going to have to pay an annual maintenance fee.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    steve13ad wrote: »
    That's the way that I read it. If you want to keep your A+ then take the Net+, and then in 3 years take your Security+.

But keep in mind that your going to have to pay an annual maintenance fee.
    +1

But it will be a cold day in hell before I renew an entry level cert like these. That is unless it becomes absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Clear as mud.

The whole idea of "renewing" CompTIA certifications seems ludicrous - and the renewal rules seem at the same time vague and arbitrary.

They come out with some spurious justification for renewing every 3 years, which frankly doesn't cut the mustard.

For pity's sake - you don't renew degrees every 3 years!
    -- Dan
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    danclarke wrote: »
    Clear as mud.

The whole idea of "renewing" CompTIA certifications seems ludicrous - and the renewal rules seem at the same time vague and arbitrary.

They come out with some spurious justification for renewing every 3 years, which frankly doesn't cut the mustard.

For pity's sake - you don't renew degrees every 3 years!
    Cisco has been doing this for years. Personally, I think you should have to re-prove your knowledge every now and then. Why would you want someone working in IT who doesn't keep up with the new technology?
  • Options
    dmarshdmarsh Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    Cisco has been doing this for years. Personally, I think you should have to re-prove your knowledge every now and then. Why would you want someone working in IT who doesn't keep up with the new technology?

Plenty of these around and certification is not going to stop them, they either don't bother to cert or they get jobs as management.

Anyone doing a real IT job will be forced to keep their skills current on a daily basis, a CV check and an interview should sort the men from the boys. A CompTIA test is never going to do that, especially with the amount of braindump material around.

As for recert A+ with N+ ?

Well just bear in mind CompTIA have now lied to you once. "Catch me once shame on you, catch me twice, shame on me."

The N+ will recert the A+, but it will also up the number of CEU's you will need, same with Secruity+, so in essence you are makng the hole deeper. I say do yourself a favour, stop digging, step out of the hole now !
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    I wasn't saying I'm going to renew my Comtia certs, I'm definately not. I could care less if they expire and move off my resume. I think moving on to CCNP and such is a better return on investment.

However one of my co-workers who became an "A+ Certified Technician" back in the early 90's and has not aquired another cert since better hope he never has to look for another job. Those are the kind of people who'll be most hurt by this. 20 years in the biz and now zero certs!
  • Options
    dmarshdmarsh Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    However one of my co-workers who became an "A+ Certified Technician" back in the early 90's and has not aquired another cert since better hope he never has to look for another job. Those are the kind of people who'll be most hurt by this. 20 years in the biz and now zero certs!

Its likely he figures he doesn't need them, many employers only care about experience, not certs.

Unfortunately in some spheres recruiters have no clue, they only search by buzzword, no buzzword, no job, and if that buzzwords a cert title, then you have to go get it...
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

If your co-worker progressed over the 20 years from helpdesk to senior engineer/architect (or whatever) then having 10x A+' for the next 100 years won't do anything for him. He'll get by on experience by itself. Yes some jobs will be lost due to ignorant goons, but that'll be marginal.

Comptia has no worth over here, but I imagine anyone who attained the A+ would hopefully have progressed after 3x years.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    The changed their mind and anyone certified before 2011 will have the cert for life. Anyone certified after 2011, will have to renew :)

Sounds fair.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The changed their mind and anyone certified before 2011 will have the cert for life. Anyone certified after 2011, will have to renew :)

Sounds fair.

I think they were hearing the backlash and decided to grandfather in the ones who had passed on the old terms of the Cert. That's a good thing and if I can still get my N+ in a month or so and still have it be lifetime I'll be happy with that too.

Otherwise if it expired in 3 years, I was seriously considering switching to the CCENT/CCNA route instead.
  • Options
    ChrisPEditorChrisPEditor Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Otherwise if it expired in 3 years, I was seriously considering switching to the CCENT/CCNA route instead.

Except you'd have to re-certify your CCNA eventually, too. I know this re-certification thing seems like a huge waste of time. If it hadn't been for them letting those of us with old A+'s stay life-long, I'd be taking the test, too (I may anyway, since it'll be on the company dime ;)

But you guys realize that you don't have to re-certify by taking the exams again, right?
    Christopher Parker
    Managing Editor, PrepLogic
    Get smarter training today with PrepLogic!

"You know what they say, 'Knowledge isn't power'... oh, wait..." --Dr. Gregory House
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Except you'd have to re-certify your CCNA eventually, too. I know this re-certification thing seems like a huge waste of time. If it hadn't been for them letting those of us with old A+'s stay life-long, I'd be taking the test, too (I may anyway, since it'll be on the company dime ;)

But you guys realize that you don't have to re-certify by taking the exams again, right?

I know that I don't have to do so now to stay current.

And I do know that I would have to recertify the CCNA, which I am fine with because it does carry more weight (especially the more advanced ones) than the N+.