Options

Document daily sysadmin work

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Does anyone use some sort of documentation system that you use to log system changes, server work, etc.? I'm looking for something that I can take down daily notes on for reference purposes and for future sysadmins. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just use a combination of a WSS Knowledge Base site and an Excel spread sheet with the following headers:

Date, Name, Description of change, Previous State, Authorization

I have several work sheets: Active Directory, Network Infrastructure, SQL Server, General Server, etc. I don't document every little change I make, just things that are "big." For example the other day I performed a bulk change to a bunch of part numbers in our ERP. I documented that. When I do performance tuning on the SQL or Exchange servers, etc. I also have a WSS site for service requests. So if I change something it is probably documented some place.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I document everything user/staff related through the helpdesk. Outside of that everything else gets documented through a custom web app that I wrote for managing projects and/or notes in general. These can be exported to excel or pdf. I based alot of my work on collab which is pretty good for tracking projects things like that.
  • Options
    ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm considering a new laptop, I like big heavy duty laptops and have always been a Toshiba fan. I'm thinking of a change or something different now but still considering a Qosmio P500 or Dell Alienware Laptops.

Any sugestion would be very much appreciated...

Cheers
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    MS OneNote is pretty good for this like that. I havent used it myself, but i've seen it used adn i wish i had it.