Options

Simulate a degraded QoS?

azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi,

Probably an odd request...

I'd like to experiment as see what a poor QoS is like, is there any way to inject delay, jitter or packet loss into a simulated WAN link? Lack of bandwidth is easy enough to simulate (which would do packet loss as well), but the rest?

I'm currently using a 1760 as my frame-relay switch, which I'm sure would be the best injection point.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not odd at all.

If you have PCs on both LANs, check out the free command line tool iperf (or jperf, the graphical front end but it has limited functionality). I use a single machine with multiple NICs and VMWare for the hosts. Set the WAN links to something like 384k and open up a ton of data streams w/iperf. You should be able to kill your call in no time. Hit the little blue "?" twice on the phone to see call/network statistics. You can also mark DSCP values w/iperf to simulate various other types of traffic to test your QoS policies.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I used iperf briefly in the past, but talking typical desktop users into running it as a client can be "challenging". Should be easier in a home lab, especially with a GUI.