DSLR users?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a DSLR. ive always fancied an SLR and actually learning how to use the thing correctly after going on many holidays and using a standard point and shoot cam. So i thought when i head to thailand this summer i will fork out and probably buy an DSLR.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an *entry level* DSLR? i have to admit i am a total newb with photography so i dont want anything high end by any means. i also dont want to spend that much on the device which i know will limit me with the purchase. A friend recommended a 2nd hand Nikon D40, which seems to get pretty good reviews for an entry level SLR. these seem to sell for around £200 from what ive seen.

Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for a good how-to DSLR guide in either a website or book format?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    I would look around for a local photo group, where I am at in Savanna there are several groups who meet to photograph different things. Also in the US there are intro classes at the local universities.
  • techtrottechtrot Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Some local shops also let you rent equipment. I would recommend renting a camera you are thinking of buying for a day or two to see if you like it and the menus are to your liking. I find it's much better to get your hands on equipment and try it, than trying to learn through a book.
    Good luck
    ~techtrot~
    WIP: CCNA
    Pages read in 2010: ~815 :study:
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon. I had a Nikon D200 that was stolen and replaced it with a Nikon D300s. My brother has a Nikon D80. The D80 and D90 are too excellent entry-level DSLRs. I'll shoot you a PM with a link to some photos we took with my camera on a recent trip to Hawaii if you want to see the quality.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I considered buying a dslr until I saw that all of the lenses I would need would make owning one too expensive for me. I do have some old telephoto lenses that work with an old Nikon film slr, I don't know if they would work with any Nikon dslr's.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take a look at this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/38164-digital-slrs-photography.html

anyway, you are backpacking right?, I think a small semi-pro camera like the canon G9 would be better in this case.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    I considered buying a dslr until I saw that all of the lenses I would need would make owning one too expensive for me. I do have some old telephoto lenses that work with an old Nikon film slr, I don't know if they would work with any Nikon dslr's.

Nearly all lenses that fit your older Nikon will work on the new Digital SLRs.

Also, you don't have to use Nikon (Nikkor) glass. Sigma is an excellent alternative and is usually cheaper but similar quality.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon. I had a Nikon D200 that was stolen and replaced it with a Nikon D300s. My brother has a Nikon D80. The D80 and D90 are too excellent entry-level DSLRs. I'll shoot you a PM with a link to some photos we took with my camera on a recent trip to Hawaii if you want to see the quality.

Hey man,

Yeah that would be great if you dont mind please?

wd40 wrote:
    Take a look at this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-...otography.html

anyway, you are backpacking right?, I think a small semi-pro camera like the canon G9 would be better in this case.

Yeah im going to thailand in the summer at some point which is one of the main reasons i wanted a SLR. My friend was saying the D40 is a small camera too.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking