Options

Finished 70-642 book

RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just finished page 590 of 70-642 (my first MCITP book)! I skipped 640 cuz it was HUGE and I didn't want to take my first test on it.

Got through 642 in about a month and that was with all the holidays. Worked through each chapter and put notes into a MS Word document as I read. Did all labs and case studies etc.

Trying to get my mindset to take a practice test and see where I stand without any review of the previous 11 chapters :)

I'm scared LOL Oh well, no guts, no glory! :) Hoping to sit the exam 04.04.10. Maybe eariler...hey, how much lead-time do I need to schedule the test?

Comments

• Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I skipped 640 cuz it was HUGE and I didn't want to take my first test on it.

lol, exactly what I did too! plus, I've never delved into AD in any detail, so I wanted to get my feet wet and confidence up by getting the 642 first.
    Got through 642 in about a month and that was with all the holidays. Worked through each chapter and put notes into a MS Word document as I read. Did all labs and case studies etc.

Trying to get my mindset to take a practice test and see where I stand without any review of the previous 11 chapters :)

I'm scared LOL Oh well, no guts, no glory! :) Hoping to sit the exam 04.04.10. Maybe eariler...hey, how much lead-time do I need to schedule the test?

This is just me, but if you've gone through the whole book with labs and notes, (and this is assuming you got the MSPress book), take the included MeasureUp exam sooner than later, while the info is still fresh. It will give you a run-down of where your weaker areas are, and you can review things from there.

Also, with the Second Shot offer going on right now, there's no need to wait til April to write the first time.. you did the whole book in a month, why not book the exam in early-mid February, making sure to acquire and use the second shot code when you book. The information is fresh in your brain, and unless you plan on reading constantly for 3 more months, why not go for it sooner than later.. if you bomb the exam, then you can re-schedule your free second chance for April. If you miss passing by one or two questions, book it for a week later, spend a week reviewing the weaker areas as noted on the exam results..

and if you pass, well, 640 awaits! :D

good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    Thanks! :)

Typo on the date...I meant 02.04.10...got all confused cuz my anniversary is 02.02.10
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks! :)

Typo on the date...I meant 02.04.10...got all confused cuz my anniversary is 02.02.10

ah ha, yes, I think a couple weeks is a good timeframe.. and I didn't mention, I believe you can book your exam up to a day or two in advance.. I find that booking the exam sets a firm finish line for studying, whereas waiting til you think you're ready just lets you push it back and back ;)

don't forget to get your second shot voucher, you use it when you book your first exam, not after you take it..
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    Epic FAIL on MeasureUp test icon_sad.gif LOL 56% Ouch icon_sad.gif

I went through it pretty fast...24 minutes, but that's they way I was in college.

And I'll be damned if I don't hate those "Choose all that apply" Miss 1 out of 3 correct or 1 out of 2 correct and you fail the whole question.

Was hitting 67% in 2 sections, 57% in 2 sections and 33% in last section. Hey, at least it points-out what to re-focus on :)

And dang it, I don't CARE what Mary's effective permissions are! ROFL :):)

Got my voucher # he,he,he
  • Options
    I find this interesting...

When I hit the "Learning Plan" tab and it breaks down the scores and gives you resources to study, it's not even from the book.

For example on "Configuring File and Print Services", the resource is MS Press Book "Vista Resource Kit"...wtf? The next 6 resources are MS Technet and 2 or Web sources.

Could be me, but if I'm missing questions on 70-642, then it should point me to, uh, I dunno, book 70-642???

Don't mind me, just a tad frustrated right now; but it was my first test ever and I rushed it.

I've got 2 college degrees in Computer Science and a 13 year career in that behind me, so I know I'm not not intelligent! LOL. This is just a new learning format I'm not used to and I will not let it beat me :)

However, and I think the certifiactions are going to this...these should not be Q&A, multiple choice. It really should be a full-on lab/test simulation because that's what we're going to be doing in the "real world" anyways, right?

<rant over> back to studying!! :)
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    However, and I think the certifiactions are going to this...these should not be Q&A, multiple choice. It really should be a full-on lab/test simulation because that's what we're going to be doing in the "real world" anyways, right?
    Some of the MCTS exams have sims, like 640 and I think 680. I took both of these before the sims were available, though, so I can't comment on them.
    <rant over> back to studying!! :)
    Good luck!!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Thanks,,,I guess it wasn't too bad for a test I flew through. And MeasurUp has 80% to pass, I think MS is lower, so they're trying to over-prepare you which is good.