Options

Help desk vs InfoSec internship

7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
I graduated last August with my BAS in Network Security and Forensics. So far the only job I've found is at the help desk I'm currently working at as a temp.

I recently saw an opening for paid intern at a company that "performs a variety of security and compliance services for its client base, such as penetration testing, vulnerability assessments, social engineering and war dialing."

The job duties are listed as:
Performing research in support of the Operations team
Assisting Security Analysts in their assigned tasks
Supporting the Client Support staff in their duties
Other tasks as assigned

So, up to that point it seems like that would be a much better job for me than where I am now. But, being an internship it only pays $10 (I'm only making $11.30 now so that's not a huge cut.) The bigger negatives are that it's only part time (20-30hrs/week) and it's located in TX (I live in TN.)

The last part would have me rule it out, but it just so happens that my cousin lives in TX about 45 miles away from the job location and manages an apt. building that his girlfriend owns and has been trying to get me to come visit for quite some time telling me that he could let me stay in one of the empty apts. So, if I could get a free room and maybe a 2nd part time job to boot it could be doable.

So, I want to get opinions here. Does the internship seem like the best idea? Is that the best way for me to get my foot in the door and get in the field?

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on how you would rather spend your days doing.

Personally I'd go for the internship, it sounds like a better situation. Plus you never know where internships will lead.

Help desk jobs are usually easier to find anyways.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Unless you're putting yourself in a dire financial situation, I'd say go for it. Opportunities like that are difficult to come across.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like others have said, help desk jobs are a dime a dozen, but this internship is a rarity and I'd strongly recommend jumping on that like Jay Leno for the Tonight Show job.

Go for it. You have a place to stay and the experience will pay off. (If you really need more money, pick up a pt help desk/Desktop support job in that area.)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    7lowe wrote: »

I recently saw an opening for paid intern at a company that "performs a variety of security and compliance services for its client base, such as penetration testing, vulnerability assessments, social engineering and war dialing."

Take the internship and don't look back... icon_wink.gif

That is a great opportunity!
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Hit the internship and never look back. If you can get some breaks with the housing situation I would take it. Can't beat it if it's in your career field.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take the internships, an internship in security is rare, a paid one is even rarer.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tells us if you get the intership, and how it works out.
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    i see your certs, you could be interested in CCNA and from there to CCNA Security

you will learn a lot in your security internship and if you're looking for more certifications to gain, then may I recommend you learn Cisco networking? With your Network+ you will have already learned most of what CCNA has to offer but you would still need to learn the Cisco way of doing things, but it wouldn't be difficult for you at all to become CCNA certified.

Now moving along, you could take your CCNA Security a month or 2 after earning your CCNA, since CCNA Security covers only one course, IINS Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security. Once you're done with that, you can choose to be CCNP (you'd learn a lot about designing, implementing, and configuring advanced routing and switching for medium to large networks as well as how to secure them in the ISCW course, and you'd learn some troubleshooting too with the new cirriculum)

OR

You could take some CCNP courses and CCSP (Cisco Certified Security Professional) and be well on your way to making not only your time in that internship pay off, but you'd have something of value to offer your employer when you become full fledged if that internship leads to employment. If you show them you are actively pursuing more security certifications then that will make you look that much more attractive
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Do we know if the internship has the chance to go FT?

Would also dig deep during the interview portion that its going to be doing things that will advance your career, instead of filing request for user permissions or turning off user accounts. Sure this is experience, however six months later this type of working isn't very meaningful.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I think I'm definitely going to go for it and then try to feel out if there is potential to go FT during the interview process.
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    I wish you the best of luck!!!

Remember write notes on what questions you want to ask them and then read it before you go in for your interview

that will help you remember when the time comes
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    Thank Selfmade, that's a really good tip! I have found myself unprepared for that in the past and then couldn't think of anything until the interview was over and it was too late of course.