Options

Study Habits

daver1015daver1015 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

This might sound stupid, but can some of you guys give me an idea of the way you study and what you are using to study. I am currently working on 83-640

Currently I am using Trainsignals videos, I run Virtual server 2005 with serveral servers and clients set up and then I use Test out along with Transcenders online lab exams.
So I guess I am looking for actual ways other people are learning and what steps thay are doing....

Thanks..

Comments

• Options
    RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just finished the 70-642 MS Press (Network Infrastructure). Took notes in a Word doc as I went along, did all the labs without trouble and was probably at 80% on the chapter questions.

Took first MeasureUp test: 57% (Fail).

Upon review, I had the right answer on about 3 questions, just clicked the wrong box. And I really struggle with the "Choose All.." since it seems partial credit is not given. Lost some points there. And to be honest, I was "gung ho" the first few and last chapters of the book, but kind of "flew" through the middle chapters. Which, of course, was where about 70% of this exam in based (DNS, RAS, NAP, IPSec, WSUS) :)

Going over those chapters again before taking another practice test
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have preached this method for a long time as I have had great success with it.

1. Study and perform labs in your books.
    2. Begin taking very quick test using MeasureUp software. If you do not know the answer simply skip the question. Take all the question you got qrong, there will be a lot, and study them using the books and TechNet. Perform mini-labs based on the questions.
    3. Once you are scoring high using this method get another test prep option (I always use the MS press book so Measureup is free with it). Then begin taking tests as if it were the real thing. Take your time and try to get the write answer. Then do the same steps. Take your errors and begin to review the topics and doing mini-labs based on the questions.

This method gives you a good balance of lab work and study and actually makes you familiar with situations that due to their narrative quality will help you recall the theory you are learning.
  • Options
    Agreed...I like the "full" test to point out problem areas, such as DNS. Then, with the MS Press MeasueUp tests, you can setup a specific test up to 79 questions JUST ON DNS.

So, I'm running a bunch of 20 questions DNS tests. When I hit 90's on those, I'll jump it to a 40 questions "real" practice test until I can nail that. Then I"ll go on with the same process on the next problem area.

And you have to go SLOW; I'm a Type A personality so that's tough for me. But a lot of questions you can take to 50/50 just on process of elimination
  • Options
    Ok thanks, I like all the feed back. Thank you. I will incorporate what you guys have posted..
  • Options
    Oh, and when you take practice tests and do you review, just don't look at the right answer. Review and study the WRONG answers too. On some, you'll just go "DUH!"

Like, what types of restores can you do from a DVD? Choose all. 2 of the 4 answers are "restore individual files". Nope! Windows Backup to DVD WILL NOT restore individual files. I would pick the other 2 choices :)
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I like the balls to the walls method :D
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    How many hrs a day and times a week ae you guys putting in to this?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just took and passed the 83-640. Used MS Press training kit doing all the labs in the book. My advice is to go over the DNS stuff twice if that is a weak/new area for you. Also, get your hands on some practice tests to gauge how you are doing with the material. I used the Boson software for practice.

I studied for about 2 months putting in an average of an hour and a half every day. I've also been working with Server 2008 for a year and server 2003 for about 6 years, most of the stuff was review but I have a terrible memory so I needed to hammer every thing in to my brain.
  • Options
    daver1015 wrote: »
    How many hrs a day and times a week ae you guys putting in to this?

Unemployed since October and I've decided to not go back into the programming field so I need a job soon.

I'm probably going to take the MCITP SA route and try to get a job off that and then complete EA and the other one (MCTS).

I treat the studying like a job, so, I'm putting in 8 hours a day at least 5 days a week. Trying to do a book a month (640, Active Diretory) may take more since it's like 700 pages.