Options

::Help:: (CCNA + CCNP) or (RHCT + RHCE)

kaximkaxim Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I have recently finished my graduate degree in Electronics Engineering. I know a little about IT and find my interest inclined towards IT. I have no job experience neither any mentionable IT skills. and i am willing for extensive studying and all.

But now i am researching about how to obtain skills and start a career. Usually i have seen a lot of people in my country that is Pakistan that they start off with CCNA and CCNP and then look for a job and then keep on adding certs under their belt.

I have to keep the following things in my mind:
  • The career the cert provides
  • Total Time Required
  • Certification Cost
here is my analysis of CCNA and CCNP:

Time required would be 6 to 8 months if you start from scratch
Money: approx 1250 USD
- Training Cost: 330$ CCNA and CCNP bundle package from a place that has about 10 CCIE instructors.
- Exam Cost: CCNA = 250$
CCNP = 150$ x 4 = 600$

but i am not sure if i would be able to get a respectable career if i do this. please comment.

according to my research, i have noticed that i could also do RHCT and then RHCE. or directly RHCE as that automatically includes RHCT

- Training Cost: 120$ from an academy that has a certified RHCE and Security+ trainer.
- Time Required: i have no clue how much it will take me to prepare for the exam as i have no prior LINUX experience
- Exam Cost: no clue of the exam cost. couldnt find it on the RedHat site. please inform about the RHCT and RHCE exam cost. and what are the career prospects after RHCE ???

Please help. Appreciate a lot what experienced professionals are providing here. TE is an awesome information source :)

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not the CCNA+ RHCT and then work on the CCNP+RHCE?

I think that (from talking with people who have done this) the CCNA to the CCNP is going to be more doable, and I think the RHCT/E track is going to be much more difficult (I think the RHCT is more difficult than the CCNA and the RHCE is more difficult than the CCNP, based on talking with people who have done it, the RHCE might be as difficult as the CCIE).

To me it would boil down to how much exp you have in either concentration (linux or networking). The CCNA/P are going to be more of a reward short term wise ( I am basing this statement off of the fact that in my area more CCNA/CCNP jobs are posted than RHCT/E jobs) but I think have the RH certs will differ you from a lot of other people. Me personally I want both of those certs one day.

If you are just trying to do linux certs, have you considered the Linux+ or LPIC test? They maybe be a bit easier for you to obtain and more reasonable.

EDIT: I just reread you post. I would say do the CCNA, (maybe the RHCT) and then try to find a job. The CCNP is considered overkill by a lot of people for entry level positions and the RHCE might be looked at in the same light (without exp of course...)
  • Options
    thank you so much man, i too talked to a friend of mine and he also suggested to get CCNA and RHCT and then look for a job and then go for CCNP/ CCIP/ CCSP ...

i will start RHCT and CCNA soon, but i dont know what is the exam price of RHCT and RHCE ... CCNA is 250$ but what is the price of RHCT, just RHCT exam ... no trainings

plus one more thing, is CCNA:Security done after CCNA or you choose CCNA:S instead of CCNA
  • Options
    kaxim wrote: »
    thank you so much man, i too talked to a friend of mine and he also suggested to get CCNA and RHCT and then look for a job and then go for CCNP/ CCIP/ CCSP ...

i will start RHCT and CCNA soon, but i dont know what is the exam price of RHCT and RHCE ... CCNA is 250$ but what is the price of RHCT, just RHCT exam ... no trainings

plus one more thing, is CCNA:Security done after CCNA or you choose CCNA:S instead of CCNA

The CCNA:Sec is done after the CCNA put a different way, the CCNA is a prereq for the CCNA:Security (a CCIE can also be a prereq for the CCNA:Security)

Look here:

CCNA Security - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

The RHCT price varies. Without any training the test is $400 dollars but with training it can get up there.

Look here:
    https://www.redhat.com/courses/rh202_rhct_exam/
    https://www.redhat.com/courses/rh133_red_hat_linux_system_administration_and_rhct_exam/

When I take the RHCT/E I probably won't be taking the training (unless I can get my job to pay for it).
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RHCT/RHCE and CCNA/CCNP are two different animals. You cannot compare the two and say one is harder than the other. Your decision should be based off of what type of support you wish to do? Linux Servrer support or Network support?Do you feel happier fixing problems on Linux Servers or problems on Cisco network devices?

You wont find yourself doing both as a career, so if you do both exam paths you can potentially be waisting time. Unless you work for a smaller company where you get paid a lot of money to manage both the servers and networking devices and your pretty much the only guru they have.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    RHCT/RHCE and CCNA/CCNP are two different animals. You cannot compare the two and say one is harder than the other. Your decision should be based off of what type of support you wish to do? Linux Servrer support or Network support?Do you feel happier fixing problems on Linux Servers or problems on Cisco network devices?

You wont find yourself doing both as a career, so if you do both exam paths you can potentially be waisting time. Unless you work for a smaller company where you get paid a lot of money to manage both the servers and networking devices and your pretty much the only guru they have.

I think you can compare the two certs based on the amount of knowledge required to complete the exam in various subjects. I talked with several people in my company (who have both) and they have stated having "at least" the CCNA would be helpful in a Linux position. The CCNP maybe overkill.
  • Options
    ok, so what i have figured out so far is that lets do RHCT and CCNA, then once i know about the both fields i would be able to decide better ... thank you everyone
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep seems like a good option. Get both and find out what you like best. Also find out how the troubleshooting / implementation/ and design is for either field. Ask around and see what peoples responses are, this should give you a better understanding along with those two certs as to where you would like to branch off to.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    man RHCT is pretty costly, 400$ is LOTS of money icon_cry.gif
    wonder what RHCE costs icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kaxim wrote: »
    man RHCT is pretty costly, 400$ is LOTS of money icon_cry.gif
    wonder what RHCE costs icon_sad.gif
    RHCE is $800 now. icon_surprised.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I don't see much point in doing both. If you want to do Linux work, go for the Red Hat certs, if you want to do networking, go with Cisco or Juniper. Also, I think your timelines are off. You think 6-8 months is reasonable to go from no networking knowledge to the CCNP? That would take a lot of aptitude and a ridiculous amount of dedication, IMO.
  • Options
    ok if not the whole CCNP then atleast 2 papers ... is this possible ?