Options

How hard to find a job with CCNA under the current economic situation?

tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
Hello

This is Kevin from Boston.

I have a finance degree (oops), and have been working in CVS since I graduated 1.5 years ago. I original started as an assistant store manager, then stepped down to become a pharmacy technician cuz I hate the 1st one so much.

Currently I am pursuing an IT career. I got A+ and Network+ last year. ICND1 was also down last week, which means I am half way to CCNA. Now, I want to know how hard to find a job (I will take any IT job) with CCNA under the current economic situation (I have been sending out resumes since I got my Network+, and no luck at all).

My long-term plan after CCNA is going for MCP + MCSE, then come back for CCNP. Anyway, I need some advices from you guys, or any thoughts you have. Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    I feel your pain Kevin, I live a couple of hours west of Washington DC. I have a degree in computer science and a CCNA, but except for Basic help desk support and CCNP level stuff there have not been any postings in months for Junior cisco people.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    white96gtwhite96gt Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have no experience in the IT industry then it is going make it even harder to land a job. Before you start loading up on certs I would try to find any job in IT. Even if you have to volunteer to get that experience. I think many people who jump to IT believe all you need is certs and you will be making $$.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    tearofs wrote: »
    Hello

This is Kevin from Boston.

I have a finance degree (oops), and have been working in CVS since I graduated 1.5 years ago. I original started as an assistant store manager, then stepped down to become a pharmacy technician cuz I hate the 1st one so much.

Currently I am pursuing an IT career. I got A+ and Network+ last year. ICND1 was also down last week, which means I am half way to CCNA. Now, I want to know how hard to find a job (I will take any IT job) with CCNA under the current economic situation (I have been sending out resumes since I got my Network+, and no luck at all).

My long-term plan after CCNA is going for MCP + MCSE, then come back for CCNP. Anyway, I need some advices from you guys, or any thoughts you have. Thank you very much.

I always thought pharmacy techs did pretty well $$$ wise, no?

Anyway, in the current climate without any hands-on experience, it is going to be real hard. I don't think impossible, but very hard.

When times are better, many companies have many projects going on and need the additional staff, even if they are on the junior level. Right now though, everyone is kinda in a wait-and-see mentality.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree experience is going to count as much as certifications.

Certifications show you have heard of a technology, but experience shows you know how to implements it.

with out experience expect to start at the bottom of the ladder.

In my view having certification will get you noticed enough for a potential employer to read your CV/Resume. but it's what else is on there that will make you stand out.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    I always thought pharmacy techs did pretty well $$$ wise, no?

Not at all, If you are new to pharmacy, about $9-$10 per hour. I get pay more cuz I stepped down from a manager position plus I have a state pharmacy tech license.

Anyway, do you guys think teaching computer is a good volunteer work to get into IT?
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Jobs all across America right now are hard to come by. And with IT in particular, the market right now is very competitive. I would agree with most that experience is most important when landing an IT job, followed by having certifications to give you that edge. But what I've noticed during my job searching is that employers are adding more and more technologies and responsibilities to their job descriptions. Therefore they are very picky who they hire these days (especially if the position pays really well). So for you just beginning into IT, expect to start out somewhere in a direct pc/end-user support role. In the process I'd definitely keep up on your certifications because with those along with solid experience makes your resume look good to employers. Also try to get your hands on as much technology as you can and get fluent with it. And try to balance out what you learn. In other words don't just play with just Microsoft or just Cisco products, try to learn about other in-demand technologies such as Linux, Unix, VMWare etc. And after a couple years you should be fine. In the mean time I wish you luck on your job search, just keep at it.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    Technito wrote: »
    Jobs all across America right now are hard to come by. And with IT in particular, the market right now is very competitive. I would agree with most that experience is most important when landing an IT job, followed by having certifications to give you that edge. But what I've noticed during my job searching is that employers are adding more and more technologies and responsibilities to their job descriptions. Therefore they are very picky who they hire these days (especially if the position pays really well). So for you just beginning into IT, expect to start out somewhere in a direct pc/end-user support role. In the process I'd definitely keep up on your certifications because with those along with solid experience makes your resume look good to employers. Also try to get your hands on as much technology as you can and get fluent with it. And try to balance out what you learn. In other words don't just play with just Microsoft or just Cisco products, try to learn about other in-demand technologies such as Linux, Unix, VMWare etc. And after a couple years you should be fine. In the mean time I wish you luck on your job search, just keep at it.

Thanks for your adviceicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Expect an entry level helpdesk/desktop support/phone support role.

You have no relevant IT experience. Certs show what you might know. Experience proves what you do know.

Get experience and good luck.

(Sorry, I guess I am grumpy due to the Vikings just losing! Just being blunt tonight.)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Escobar411Escobar411 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Expect an entry level helpdesk/desktop support/phone support role.

You have no relevant IT experience. Certs show what you might know. Experience proves what you do know.

Get experience and good luck.

(Sorry, I guess I am grumpy due to the Vikings just losing! Just being blunt tonight.)

I feel your pain with the lost and for sure IT experience along with the certs is a must in order to compete in today's enviroment!