Options

Interview Questions

NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
What do you guys typically say when you get asked about 'important achievements' and 'extraordinary' things that you've done at work?

I have been in one networking role but I wouldn't consider anything I did extraordinary or an important achievement. Not really sure how to answer these sorts of questions.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't have to be the first man on the moon or cure cancer to have done something extraordinary. Answer the question relative to your position. Have you done anything faster or better than expected? Did you ever do anything in a unique or interesting way? If so, use that as an answer.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I agree with MentholMoose. Its not about having something that will Wow the interviewer, its having a personal achievement that you are proud of and hopefully got recognized at work for.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree, I think they more want you to show an example (or two) of where you have used you head and had personal input.

Thing like "there was such and such a problem and I solved it like this" or "on our network I saw this could be done better and so implemented x,y and Z"

There looking for how you can benefit the company, so you want to show you are interested in the work and take a active rather then just passive approach to it.

like mentioned, does not have to be amazing achievements.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Having done things that are "heroic" indicates that you are willing to go the extra mile when there is crunch-time or when a "disaster" hits. Working nights and weekends to release a product or product update, pulling an unexpected all-nighter to fix an infrastructure problem, making yourself available long-term for 24/7 tech support, taking upon yourself great personal inconvenience (e.g., extended travel) to satisfy the needs of a customer, etc. These actions and accomplishments are all signs of personal character and commitment to your job.

Now, if the place you are interviewing for requires heroic acts from its employees on a regular basis, then I might look elsewhere for a job.