Options

Job hunting - when a project finally comes about

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi All,

Kind of looking for advice here. I think this might be a difficult situation although I haven't run it out in my head fully yet!

So I have been sitting at work for the last few months or so with very little technical work to be doing (if any) and becoming very very very bored with my current position at work. I have been given dog's body jobs to do such as Purchase ordering and documentation/Quotation work, working for a small IT service company can of course sometimes wield these tasks, even if id like to avoid them.

I had a little job hunt later last year but nothing materialised that I was content with (even after a couple of interviews) but in the new year I made myself the task to update my cv again and start whacking it about to get a fresh challenge and a new direction (I am using a on-line CV company whom have given me my first draft today!). I planned to start sending the CV out within this week depending on when my final draft is complete and I am happy with it.

As the gods of fate would have it, my boss came to me today and basically gave me a heads up on a upcoming project - which involves a small relocation for a trading floor (whom I have supported on and off for the last 3 years or so). This relocation is an office move of about 100 meters for around 15 users. There is to be no new systems or infrastructure or real expansion, just an office move involving a lot of cable work and pains in the neck/back. This is work I have done before, I will be learning nothing new or gaining any experience here. I do not see any technical challenge in this, this is more project management, which is not why I got into IT.

Have any of you ever searched for new pastures when a project comes about that you should be involved in (even if it provides you with no challenges?). I was thinking that if I did search for other jobs again, would this affect my reference from my current company do you think?

I don't really want to delay my search for something new, as I think its about time I moved on really.

Anyway, any help or suggestions apprechiated.

Pash
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    My biggest mistake is letting time go buy without gaining new certs at my old job. Get adavnced certs before you leave and learn as much as possible
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    nice343 wrote: »
    My biggest mistake is letting time go buy without gaining new certs at my old job. Get adavnced certs before you leave and learn as much as possible

+1

I agree wholeheartedly.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    An office move wont really add any strings to bows (infact where I work we people are always shifting about and its a pain in the A*&e as if I dont have anything better to do). I wouldn't put off a job hunt for that. Hell my employer are planning massive changes over the next year and I'm still looking (sorry even tasty infrastructure changes wont pay the bills). References these days only comprise of employee worked here from this date to this date, they cannot put you in a bad light in a reference (only by refusing to give a reference).

Dont be fooled into taking one for the team because that team will drop you like a sack of spuds when the going gets tough.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    +1 for Dales

As long as you keep your professionalism and dont let anything slide then I would keep looking for another role.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dales wrote: »
    An office move wont really add any strings to bows (infact where I work we people are always shifting about and its a pain in the A*&e as if I dont have anything better to do). I wouldn't put off a job hunt for that. Hell my employer are planning massive changes over the next year and I'm still looking (sorry even tasty infrastructure changes wont pay the bills). References these days only comprise of employee worked here from this date to this date, they cannot put you in a bad light in a reference (only by refusing to give a reference).

Dont be fooled into taking one for the team because that team will drop you like a sack of spuds when the going gets tough.

Well because it is a new office location in the same building acquired by the parent company of this trading floor it is a project in effect, although you are right it doesn't add any strings to any bows for anyone has had to move a any trader in the financial sector before will know how much of a head screw it is.

But thanks guys, I guess its important to move on if you feel it's definitely time to.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.