Options

should or shouldn't I create a computer account first in domain then join it?

poguypoguy Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
should or shouldn't I create a computer account first in domain then join it?
the book said you should create a computer account by hand first
the video said you should create a computer account but just join it

thanks

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    IMO it is best practice to prestage the computer account first. This way the account is in the proper OU to begin with.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    IMO it is best practice to prestage the computer account first. This way the account is in the proper OU to begin with.

Yep, while it's not a requirement, it's a best practice for the reason mentioned above. It's probably more important in a larger environment where it's easier to lose track of what computer belongs in what OU.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We actually don't pre-stage ever...didn't know about the best practice.

However we do have a vb script that is run nightly which moves computers from the default OU to the correct OU based on naming conventions so I guess it works out the same.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Pre-staging is best when you are doing something like a deployment and you want to put things where they go way before hand.

It can be very handy, but its by no means a requirement.

Remember that you can also change the default container/OU that your computers go into by using the REDIRCMP command.

EDIT: I should also point out that the Windows 7 unattend file has a component for OU DN path to place the images machine into when it joins. ;)