Convert from 32 bit to 64? vmware VM?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys
I have some questions you guys would probably know.

1. I have built some vms in a 32 OS/hardware environment with vmware server free okay!
1A. I want to copy over these vms to my new laptop that is a true 64 bit machine okay? 64 bit OS/64 bit cpu etc..

can this be done by vmware maybe some converter? 32 bit vm to 64 bit vm?

thanks

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    itdaddy wrote: »
    Hey guys
    I have some questions you guys would probably know.

1. I have built some vms in a 32 OS/hardware environment with vmware server free okay!
    1A. I want to copy over these vms to my new laptop that is a true 64 bit machine okay? 64 bit OS/64 bit cpu etc..

can this be done by vmware maybe some converter? 32 bit vm to 64 bit vm?

thanks

Your laptop can run 32-bit and 64-bit VMs. Converting them will only allow them to run on a different virtualization products. They will however remain 32-bit OS's.
    Good luck to all!
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    heropsycho

I am confused sorry. So I created a 32 bit vm on my 32 bit OS/CPU combo.
    I have a newer laptop that is a 64 bit os/cpu combo that I installed WMware server onto. are you saying I can import the 32 bit vms onthe newer laptop and the 64bit os/cpu doesnt matter they will still run fine just of course they wont run as 64 bit since they were created as 32 bit right?
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    heropsycho

I am confused sorry. So I created a 32 bit vm on my 32 bit OS/CPU combo.
    I have a newer laptop that is a 64 bit os/cpu combo that I installed WMware server onto. are you saying I can import the 32 bit vms onthe newer laptop and the 64bit os/cpu doesnt matter they will still run fine just of course they wont run as 64 bit since they were created as 32 bit right?
    Yes that is correct.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mentholmoose
    thanks dude appreciate the amen! icon_thumright.gif I kind of thought that but needed confirmation from you guys who know more more than me; ) thanks a lot!