Options

Certifications and-or College/University Degree

tech77tech77 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if anyone thought about going back to college for some sort of computer science degree after working in IT for a while without one.

My educational background doesn't include any formal training in computer science or information sicence, but I do have some certifications and have been working in the IT field for 5 years now. I am considering going back for a degree in some computer related field.

I guess my question is, is it worth it, having some sort of computer science degree or are just the certifications better?

Sure would value any advice and opinions on this matter.

icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I have considered going back to gain a bachelor in CS or the like. My bachelor is a liberal arts bachelor's degree, so I have most of the general studies courses already--I've thought about it, but not sure yet. The BS would give me a personal gain in advanced knowledge in the overall field of computers, i.e., applications, programming, data movement, sytems setup, etc. Generally, the better-paying jobs that I see in ads for employment, require a Bachelor degree in Computer Science or some related degree.

I'm still preparing for certs because the study and practice for these things actually teach you more specific knowledge and skills which can be used in present work. The certs also give you a little more "bait" on the resume end of the job search.

If you switch to another employer, you will definitely have an advantage over non-degree applicants in the application process if you get the BS(or whatever). And, probably an advantage is to be had within your own place of employment if you demonstrate your ambition by pursuing the degree.

I think employers tend to see certificates as something that they can brag about to clients, or supervisors can show to upper-tier supervisors to demonstrate that all of their subordinates have attained a certain level of skill in a specific area of tasks.

Both are of an advantage either great or small depending on both individual organizations and geographical areas in the job search or advancement. I believe that they are of inestimable value when it comes to improving one's own evaluation of self-worth and self-confidence.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I'm considering the same. While everyone debates the value of cert A vs. cert B, any prospective employer will appreciate good 'ol sheepskin.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think having both is the best option.

I have a couple of certs, but did not have a degree. I went back to school and completed an AS degree in Network Administration this past May. I would like to follow up with a Bachelors in a couple of years.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    In this field, if you have the opportunity to obtain a college degree, I think it would be a mistake not to do so.

The other thing you have to realize is that "computer science" is usually a very math-oriented major with a lot of programming classes. If you just want an IT-like degree, try to major in MIS or CIS. It's a lot easier than CS and it might be more fitting for the line of work you want to do.
  • Options
    tech77tech77 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    I think having both is the best option.

I have a couple of certs, but did not have a degree. I went back to school and completed an AS degree in Network Administration this past May. I would like to follow up with a Bachelors in a couple of years.

So how was it? Do you find an AS degree helpful or beneficial in terms of gaining knowledge about the field or in terms of a job search or improving your standing at your current job? Just curious.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a Java, Intro to Database, Linux, Web Server, and Systems Analysis classes that were all very useful. I used Linux class to prep for the Linux+ cert. I also had an A+ style class where I was bored out of my mind.

I also liked some of the non-IT course I had. English, Psych, and Accounting. I work for an accounting firm and with accounting software a lot, so that was the most useful.

I'm still at the same job, so I haven't used it in a job search. It is just more reassuring that I have the degree under my belt.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I graduate in about three weeks. Since it became mathmatically impossible for me to fail the class (unless I stop showing up and the administrative withdrawal for lack of attendance kicks in), I've gone ahead and updated my resume to include my associate's degree.

I then started looking for another job. I found one that appealed to me, NOC Technician. I submitted my resume, and in two and a half hours, the HR person was calling me back for a phone interview. The first question out of her mouth was 'Do you have a degree?'.

So yeah, I'm pretty certain that a degree makes a difference when an employer looks over your resume. Go back and get one if you haven't.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    regalregal Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    More Certs, no school
  • Options
    cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Member Posts: 206
    I am doing Administrative things on school & I also combine it with my Certifications. Like this:

Monday --->7.00 - 13.00 & 19.00 - 21.00 ---> Course (MCSA2003)

Tuesday--->7.00 - 13.00

Wednesday--->7.00 - 13.00 & 19.00 - 21.00 ---> Course (MCSA2003)

Thursday--->7.00 - 13.00

Friday--->7.00 - 13.00

I think MCSA 2003 course is going to be 10 months.

After my school i am going to do a course of MBA