2004 Certification Study

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin

Comments

• crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting site

I am searching for exactly when the 2000 and XP certs will become out of date ("retired") so I don't take something that expires in a year. Anyone heard anything?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examsretired.asp lists already closed exams.

They have posted (10/8/04) that no others are scheduled at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.asp

I know many 2000's are now 2003 - any ideas about XP retirement?
    I have emailed them - if they answer, will post it.

What does anyone know about MCDST? Worthwhile, or not?
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    crabeater wrote:
    I am searching for exactly when the 2000 and XP certs will become out of date ("retired") so I don't take something that expires in a year. Anyone heard anything?

M$ will announce well in advance if they are retiring any exam, not to mention post it as well. I severely doubt 2000 will be retired anytime soon. Same with XP. XP is way too new to go yet, and 2000 is the basis for loads of companies. I actually have a customer that still uses 3.1, yes that would be Windows 3.1, not a joke. I know it's sad, but it goes to prove companies will use what they can if it does the job. For most businesses right now, it's too costly to switch over to 2003. IMHO, 2000 and XP have at least 5 years left, before it's considered for retirement.
    crapeater wrote:
    What does anyone know about MCDST? Worthwhile, or not?
    Unfortunatly, MCDST has not taken off like M$ hoped. They're actually giving Free Training away. I passed one exam, so I only need one more. Yet, I don't see the incentive to spend the $$$ for the exam. I didn't study at all really for the one I took and passed. It was fairly simple. If you use XPPro and it's associated programs(IE, Outlook, etc.), on a daily basis, you should have no problem with the exam. But for now, I would say, a no-go for MCDST.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    2000 will be a valuable cert for a while to come. Not nearly as many companies will move from 2000 to 2003 as NT to 2000. Two words-- Active Directory. The company I work for has been talking about migrating to AD but are eyeing 2K, not 2003.

Even if you go all out for the 2000 track, it's only 2 more exams from MCSE 2000 to 2003.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i have just read from mcpmag this morning, and 70-219 already been retired. but from there -> MS likely wants their fellow certified people to quickly migrate to w2k3 certification.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.