whats next ?(comptia related only)

kromoskromos Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
im taking my network+ this friday and i got my a+ already and i want to know what would eb the next cerification to take ! ! !

im good with hardware and ok with software and im pretty much a hands on person. ive seen what the other certifications are but cant make up my mind, which is best for me ?

my imaginery friend tells me to go after the server+, which will fit in well with a+ and network+ and i want to know(to those that did the server+), is it any good and what are pros and cons of it ? ? ?

tanx !!!
"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Littlethings like being spanked every day by a middle aged woman:Stuff you pay goodmoney for in later life."

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Server+ would be the next step in line with what you've said in the CompTIA arena. It covers exactly what it says; Servers. It's been called "Advanced A+".

You're tested on the things that are in the server room and the operations that are carried out there; environment maintenance and protection and fire protection, physical and logical security, backup knowledge, SCSI, NAS, SANS, lots of disaster recovery and planning, and Network OSs and compatibility with various clients, server form factors, UPSs, racks.

There's not a lot about networking--just a little as relates to the server itself.

If you pass Server+ you will have no surprises when you walk into a server room or data center as far as what you're looking at. You may be surprised at the number of servers there and the heat they produce! You still have to be able to use the same old troubleshooting methods.

This is not a popular certificate, but I'm glad that I have it since it prepared me for what I encountered when I went to work for my present employer.

Hope this helps.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would also think about the CCNA Cert. What do you want to work with??? Windows Administration or routing and switching??? CCNA would be a very nice cert. to have under your belt.

My 2 lbs. icon_wink.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    If you are wanting to head down the arena of HP's ASE certifications, Server+ is a requirement. I am thinking about looking at this cert too.
  • kromoskromos Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tanx for the info ! !
    viper75 - im actually building myself to become a windows/network admin but not in a rush. just getting a few certifications and experience before i concore mcse and mcsa ! ! !
    "You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Littlethings like being spanked every day by a middle aged woman:Stuff you pay goodmoney for in later life."
  • freakfreak Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    server+ is such a badly designed test... i would recommend Linux+ and/or Security+ - although Sec+ is hardly a well-written test...
    Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, CEH, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify.net

InfoSecWeb.com

FreakNotes.com