Options

STATIC Route Share Drive HELP?

Ok ladies/gentlemen, I have a problem with our local network here in Afghan. This may seem basic to you guys but not to me, being a 2 year IT guy straight from the Army Artillery ranks.

We have a basic Hughes Satellite internet setup. Satellite to modem, to switch, to server, to users. We use this setup to MAC filter users and for bandwidth allocation. We have a share drive setup that users can browse and connect to by hostname. The share is called pinky. All users can connect to the pinky share when plugged directly into the switch. When users add a personal router between their pc and the switch, they can't connect or even ping the share. I'm assuming this is a routing issue. The routers firewall has been turned off. Router model Linksys/Cisco WRT 610n. We have a DHCP scope on the server that issues client IP addresses. Scope: 192.168.0.0 network subnet mask 225.255.255.192 gateway 192.168.0.1 router reservation from DHCP 192.168.0.4. This information was input into the router and then users connected to it and can browse the internet fine but cant see the share at all. The router is issuing IPs internally to these clients with the following, 192.168.1.0 network, 192.168.1.1 gateway, 255.255.255.0 subnet, and 100-149 user range. What must be changed to allow users to use the router, browse the internet, and share without disconnecting the router? I tried a static route and the router said it was invalid. Can someone help me with the static route issue, IF thats the issue?

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I'm not really understanding your network description.

Why are the users placing a router between themselves and the switch?

How does the server route out to the internet?

If the users have a route to the server, how will the server route to the clients?

Are the clients getting their DHCP addresses from the router or the server?
  • Options
    RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A couple of ideas:

1. broaden your reservation scope.
    2. turn off DHCP on the routers
    3. may have to static route from "users" router to yours (route -p add users_router_ip mask 255.255.255.0 your_router_ip
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is most likely a name resolution issue. Have them try and access pinky via its IP address rather than by the name. When you are connected to the same switch as pinky you are able to broadcast for the name. Once you put yourself behind another router it will not allow the broadcasts to go out of the 192.168.1.0 network into the 192.168.0.0 network and so they cannot find pinky.

EDIT: The likely reason your static route is being seen as invalid is because you are attempting to create a static route to a host rather than a network, which is not possible.