subnetting on 291

z3pxz3px Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Studying for 291 right now and I'm focusing a lot on subnetting right now. Does the test generally have a lot of these types of questions or should i focus more on other areas (assuming i know a good bit about DHCP, DNS, WSUS, etc...)

Comments

• bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't recall too many subnetting questions on my 291...maybe 2-3. DNS, WSUS, RRAS, and IPSec were the major topics.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Counting all of the MS exams I have taken, I can only recall one direct subnetting question such as "What subnet mask is required for x number of hosts?" - and that one question wasn't on 291. Those types of questions are too easy and direct for an MS exam.

What you will see are questions that require subnetting knowledge to figure out the correct answer. You need to understand subnetting so that you can identify the symptoms of an incorrect IP address, subnet mask or default gateway and how that will impact network communications.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have had maybe a total of three of these types of questions and only one was on the 291.

The reason why test prep books/software put such a high emphasis on these is because they are generally harder to get your mind around at first and so students tend to ignore them because they are percieved as "hard".

I believe knowing how to subnet well will be of benefit to your career and is worth the time spent. Plus in a test like the 291 where each question might count, subnetting is easy and exact and can help you get that point you might need.
  • nash0924nash0924 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say basically try to understand how many hosts you can obtain from a subnet (vice versa), the nework ID and the how to manipulate the subnet mask from practice tests I've taken.
    WIP: MSc.
  • z3pxz3px Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    taking it tomorrow!!! yay!!!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Beat. 785. Not as good as I would have hoped, but a pass is a pass. That's a HUGE weight off my shoulders...Now on to Net+ so get MCSA!!
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    z3px wrote: »
    Beat. 785. Not as good as I would have hoped, but a pass is a pass. That's a HUGE weight off my shoulders...Now on to Net+ so get MCSA!!

Congrats! How was it?
    Congrats! How was it?

Not bad at all. I agree with others that the beast title is a little over hyped. Most of the questions were very direct and to the point and the simulators were a lot easier than those found on Transcender (at least the ones I got).