Options

loopback process why it call loopback, how is it loopback??

poguypoguy Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
This setting causes affected computers to apply only the set of computer-based GPOs to any user who logs on to these computers.

but in a video tutorial I see user-based GPO prevail, like setting the desktop wall paper. how come the definition above doesn't see to reflect what I see in the video tutorial??
or it does?
icon_thumright.gif
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Its USER policies being applied to a computer for any person that logs in.

Its "loopback" because its looping the user policies back to a machine, rather than user (I guess)

Forget why they chose that name and rather what its function is. It comes in extremely handy.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    poguy wrote: »
    This setting causes affected computers to apply only the set of computer-based GPOs to any user who logs on to these computers.

but in a video tutorial I see user-based GPO prevail, like setting the desktop wall paper. how come the definition above doesn't see to reflect what I see in the video tutorial??
    or it does?
    icon_thumright.gif
    Thank you

There are two ways you can apply loopback policies - merge or replace. Merge is useful if you only want to change one setting such as the screensaver timeout on a conference room PC. Replace is necessary if you need to change most of the settings, such as one policy for normal logons and one for terminal server logons.

Loopback processing with merge or replace: Group Policy