What am I doing

troyt93955troyt93955 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have failed my ICND1 for the second time today, I cant believe it I mastered the material i was using. Skill Soft, Router Sim, Trancender. I got a 644, so i dont know how close that is. I know the first time I was just to cocky and deserved it, but this time I studied my butt off. heck I passed my MCSA 290 (the Beast), with excruciating pain, seriously went from the test room straight to the emergency room NO JOKE and had my gull bladder removed.

Anyway, can you tell me what else I can read or do to help me study up, maybe im using the wrong study material.

Thanks in advac\nced

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As posted in the forum's CCNA FAQ
    icon_exclaim.gifOdom Certification Library AND Todd's Sybex book (6th Edition)
    The Wendell Odom Cisco Press CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition and Todd Lammle's CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, 6th Edition are the books most recommended by TechExams.Net members.

The Odom book's cover what you NEED TO KNOW for the CCNA, and to lay the foundation for going past the CCNA.

Todd's book is GREAT for subnetting and has some great hands on lab exercises to do. You just have to figure out which parts are for the ICND1 and which are for the ICND2.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used Todd Lammle's book. I've never used Skill Soft but I found Train Signal and even CBT Nuggets really helpful.

What did the exam report show for your performance in each section?
  • troyt93955troyt93955 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recieved:
    50% on Implement a small switched network
    19% on Implement a small routed network
    56% on Implement an IP addressing scheme and ip services to meet networ requirements
    75% on the rest
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    Try tom lammle's sybex ccent study guide, his training video modules are also great to look at.

You really need to be able to subnet in you're head and do it fast.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    "Implement" are all things you should practice "hands on" -- what sort of lab work did you do to prepare?

Try some questions over at www.subnettingquestions.com -- if you can't knock them out correctly, and quickly in your head (or using a subnetting **** sheet), then you definitely need to work on your subnetting skills too.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    troyt93955 wrote: »
    I recieved:
    50% on Implement a small switched network
    19% on Implement a small routed network
    56% on Implement an IP addressing scheme and ip services to meet networ requirements
    75% on the rest

looking at those scores, I have to ask what your doing lab wise ? seems to me you need a bit more hands on icon_smile.gif

ps looks like Mike beat me to it....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To my understanding, ICND1 is all about mastering subnetting and the basics of routing and switching and configuration. You need to know subnetting like the back of your hand and be able to do it in your head in 30 seconds or less. If you cant do that then you need more practice.

Go through the subnetting chapter in Lammles book if you havent already. Also the method from Jeremys videos is really good.

You need quite abit of hands on lab work for ICND1. Without that it would be very hard to pass. Its not just about the theory, you need to be able to apply it to a practical situation to troubleshoot basic issues.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I recommend picking up the Cisco Exam Certification Library by Wendell Odom. You can get it from Amazon for $38.00 plus shipping. It should fill in the gaps. I highly recommend getting some more hands on that seems to be your weak point.
  • mulcahydmulcahyd Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    On the subnetting questions , I answered 19/25. Depending on the number of questions. I'm currently studying using sim.
  • troyt93955troyt93955 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help. im going to go with Wendell Odom.
    I use a program called Router Sim to do my labs
  • ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you can get your hands on Packet Tracer, it is a much better sim. Of course using actual equipment is always best, but if you are strapped for cash, use Packet Tracer.
    Will probably take my test 649-822 this weekened. I practiced mainly on subnetting via subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online. I can get most of the questions correct. Also I practiced few sample router labs using a router sim. On practice exams I'm getting like mid to high 80%.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mulcahyd wrote: »
    On the subnetting questions , I answered 19/25. Depending on the number of questions. I'm currently studying using sim.

You should practice until you get to the point where the subnetting questions are basically freebie points
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    ziggi138 wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on Packet Tracer, it is a much better sim. Of course using actual equipment is always best, but if you are strapped for cash, use Packet Tracer.

Amen to that. I did pretty much all my learning from packet tracer. In my opinion it is the best tool out there for a CCNA student. A must-have really if you dont have any real gear. The beauty is that it is so easy to use.

Forget about Routersim guys, get packet tracer and setup the networks from Todd Lammles book, the cbt nuggets and Chris Bryants ultimate CCNA study guide.
    mulcahyd wrote: »
    Will probably take my test 649-822 this weekened. I practiced mainly on subnetting via subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online. I can get most of the questions correct. Also I practiced few sample router labs using a router sim. On practice exams I'm getting like mid to high 80%.

Just a word of advice. By the time you get to the exam you should know subnetting and VLSM like the back of your hand. Can you subnet in your head and work out the answer in 30 seconds or less ? You should be getting every subnetting question correct by the time you get to the exam.

Also you need A LOT of hands on lab time before doing the exam. A few sample router labs probably wont cut it.

How long have you been preparing for the exam ? Have you done many labs ?
    I have been practicing labs using netsim with full router cli commands accessible.Its been about 4-5 months practicing
    Also reading ccent exam book and doing questions.
  • tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    i just fialed for the second time as well. got a 77 the first time and 75 the second. i didnt finish and my last question i was wokring on was a sim, so i certainly would have passed if i had an extra minute or so.

i have trouble interpreting the running configs and determining what may or may not be running on that particular switch/router.
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    Are you using any sims? Work with packet tracer and do all the basic configs, setting hostnames, line passwords, rip configuration, know the differnce between enable secret/password, using encryption etc.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S