Slightly On Topic -- combating the Personal Antivirus virus

ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
I have had a rash of the annoying "personal antivirus" virus here at work and in my personal life (nieces, bless their trusting hearts, click on everything).

Does anyone have an effective way of combating these viruses outside Symantec's NAV system? I am getting a headache from these 2 AM phone calls.

Thanks,

~Obdurate~

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Obdurate wrote: »
    Does anyone have an effective way of combating these viruses outside Symantec's NAV system? I am getting a headache from these 2 AM phone calls.

Turn the phone off ? icon_biggrin.gif

ok maybe someone will give you a sensible answer shortly...
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I just scan the computer with MalwareBytes in Safe Mode.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Install an IPS, most have signatures to detect these downloads (and set to block). (Untangle is a decent freebie version that is very easy to setup, the IPS module is a modified version of SNORT).
    Also get a better AV if possible, Symantec sucketh.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    combofix. it is a very involved solution (not running it, but the type of scanning) and is best used in combination with the guides on their website for removing these things. Pay attention to the combofix website though, occasionally a bug will show up in combofix releases. Still a great tool. Also, malwarebytes.

john

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Install an IPS, most have signatures to detect these downloads (and set to block). (Untangle is a decent freebie version that is very easy to setup, the IPS module is a modified version of SNORT).
    Also get a better AV if possible, Symantec sucketh.

Symantec does stink, but my boss loves it -- probably because he doesn't have to fight with it every day.

I was shot down with installing a IPS at work -- "Symantec Endpoint should protect us!"

The only common denominator I have found is everyone who got this virus was just recently on Facebook or Myspace

Thanks for the help all.

~Obdurate~
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    Clean out the system with Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, then tell them to get a Mac.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 tends to let this one slip right on through. It's hit our CEO and one of our remote employees (she had to drive 50 miles so I could repair it). I'm using NOD32 at home for myself and my parents, and it does a great job of blocking problem sites. I haven't come across it since I installed the stuff, and neither have my parents (which is amazing).
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Malwarebytes will remove it. MSE will prevent it from getting there in the first place.