Options

Other Generic IT Certs NCSA,Brainbench...

gpitts85gpitts85 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to get some insight on these other so called web based certs. I have heard about National Computer Science Academy certs and brainbench. I took like 5 NCSA certs and passed them all just now and one brainbench and passed as well. What and Who are these people do they hold any weight for employers. I want to hear from everyone cause I wont waste a penny on a paper that is meaningless Thank you in advance for your input
G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

Philippians 4:13:
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The best way to determine something like that is to just search the job boards and see how many hits you get. I'd only get something like those if an employer specifically required it. They're not that well known and probably only hold real value in niche areas. That's not to say they're a waste; you've probably learned a great deal along the way. I just wouldn't put any more time or money into them unless you had a specific reason.
  • Options
    jrmeulemansjrmeulemans Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My current employer had me take a brainbench test during my interview to determine my competency for the job i was interviewing for. As far as having it beforehand, I'm not sure...i would rather have a more highly regarded cert.

anyways,.. that's my .02
  • Options
    GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gpitts85 wrote: »
    I want to get some insight on these other so called web based certs. I have heard about National Computer Science Academy certs and brainbench. I took like 5 NCSA certs and passed them all just now and one brainbench and passed as well. What and Who are these people do they hold any weight for employers. I want to hear from everyone cause I wont waste a penny on a paper that is meaningless Thank you in advance for your input

Some people do not like those tests because they are not well known. The subject matter on those tests are very close to CompTIA / others (I've seen the brainbench Cisco Network Support test before). My opinion is if the subject matter is true and current, and the cost is low.. then why not? If anything.. if a future employer who does not know this certification company or that certification company..at least you can tell them that you are always taking tests to learn and to keep your own knowledge and skills current. And that's a positive thing. icon_thumright.gif
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Some coworkers and I had a competition one day to see who could pass the most brainbench certs on the first try.

Other than that, I've never actually seen them used for anything.