Is the job worth it?

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
I went on this interview last week and I had high hopes for the job....turned out to be a small (25 person) shop running a managed services business. My problem is I keep going into these jobs that have no growth potential, and you could imagine getting bored after a while. Now I'm in talks/interviews for another company which is larger (about 125 people) but I think their IT dept is small. Is it worth taking a job just for experience even if there is no room to grow?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I went on this interview last week and I had high hopes for the job....turned out to be a small (25 person) shop running a managed services business. My problem is I keep going into these jobs that have no growth potential, and you could imagine getting bored after a while. Now I'm in talks/interviews for another company which is larger (about 125 people) but I think their IT dept is small. Is it worth taking a job just for experience even if there is no room to grow?

Sometimes the only way is to jump to a new job after you have gained the experience needed. I'm not suggesting every 12 or 24 months of course, just saying that not every job will provide that. I'm not sure that I will ever be able to move from desktop to server in the job I am in right now. What is your biggest concern about growth in particular?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's better staying stagnant. Hopping jobs to try new things and achieve personal growth is not uncommon. I'd say that's more the case than finding a single large organization where you'll stay for a high number of years, especially in IT.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    It's better staying stagnant. Hopping jobs to try new things and achieve personal growth is not uncommon. I'd say that's more the case than finding a single large organization where you'll stay for a high number of years, especially in IT.

Fair enough, not to mention that is what I've been doing for about 2 years because I keep signing on with these small companies.

The benefit to the new company is I'll finally get more hands on exp.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Er, I meant it's better than staying stagnant. Sorry, I was thinking faster than I was typing... icon_lol.gif
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Er, I meant it's better than staying stagnant. Sorry, I was thinking faster than I was typing... icon_lol.gif

Haha no worries I read it how you meant it, so apparently we are on the same page.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I had to read that over a couple times to understand what you meant icon_wink.gif
  • moonlight08moonlight08 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's how I started out way back in the '90s, you just had to get your foot in the door however you could. But yes during my time in many different interviews I came across some companies that didn't have a clue, and I mean that both in terms of the actual company business plan and their respective IT departments.

One interview I recall was with 2 guys for a network administration type job. They handed me a printout of their existing network schema and asked me what I thought about it. They didn't ask me anything specific like "See any sort of security problems?" or "Do you think there might be a better way to handle traffic on this segment?". No, they just asked me what I thought about it, I looked at it and said "Looks ok to me" and they just sort of moved on.

I did not accept their offer.