Telephony work on a 66-block

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Anyone ever do telephony work on a 66-block? I need to trace a DID with a butt set. According to the manual, black lead goes on tip(+) and red lead goes on ring(-). It also has a polarity led that will illuminate if polarity is reversed. When I connect the black lead to the top clip and the red lead to the bottom clip, the polarity led lights up. Should I assume 66-blocks are wired ring, tip, ring, tip, ring, tip, etc..?

Comments

• bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    First unplug it from the telco interface, don't worry about polarity, put a buzzer on it and trace it with a wand to the end point. Or if you are working backward toward the telco same thing.

Only thing is watch shorting the tip and ring out as sometimes a card can blow from that.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    bellhead wrote: »
    First unplug it from the telco interface, don't worry about polarity, put a buzzer on it and trace it with a wand to the end point. Or if you are working backward toward the telco same thing.

Only thing is watch shorting the tip and ring out as sometimes a card can blow from that.

It's a pots line, I need to find out what the DID is, I already know where the end point is located. I get a dial tone and I was going to call a cell phone to reveal the number but I noticed it sparked for a split second... icon_surprised.gif

Are you saying it doesnt matter if I put red or black lead on tip or ring?
  • FaygoFaygo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have never found it to mater, The systems auto switch if you have it switched. Should be able to hook any phone to the 66 block and get a dial tone.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Faygo wrote: »
    I have never found it to mater, The systems auto switch if you have it switched. Should be able to hook any phone to the 66 block and get a dial tone.

Yeah, I figured out what I was doing wrong. The line I was testing isnt a pots line after all, it is voip. I found a pots line and pulled the did just fine. Gotta love the butt set!