Options

Question regarding getting a job

I know a lot of factors play into any job search, but here's my story.

My background includes some Cisco, NOC, and some config of 2500s, and I also have been working on some PCs and laptops, for friends and family mostly.

I need to get a job ASAP, new baby, and my former at home online business (not I.T.) is failing due to several reasons. I've been out of I.T. for about 7 years, although I do work on friends and familys PCs and laptops for free

My question is, what cert is going to get the quickest response for a job?

A+ darn comptia exams are so freaking expensive
70-640
70-680
70-646
CCNA Cisco is always good to have
other

I'm also taking a Security+ class, as I find the security field interesting, but this class just started.

I know CCNA would prob pop the most, but would prob take me the longest to study for. Also know certs are everything, but sometimes exp is hard to quantify to some technical recruiter who really doesn't understand tech. Plus, some hiring managers want a cert as a baseline of your knowledge.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You were 7 years out of IT but you are still in tune with the technology, I recommend your first concentrate in one cerification until you pass.

Second try to apply any help desk or field tech jobs that deal with desktop (you already know how to fix computers).

I read somewhere that if you want to have a job, find a company that you want to work, make it your target, find any information about that company and who is the IT manager or the owner of the company (if the company is small) and try to contact that person, try to take any interview with him so you can give him/her your resume and explain them your quealification and why they have to hire you, in other words your will sell yourselft to them
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    Good advice. I have two specific companies in mind. I've used those techniques to get non I.T. jobs, makes sense to apply it to I.T. jobs.

Thanks
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good.

Keep going.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on how much you need to study for the A+ or CCNA will influence some of the decision but my guess would be that the A+ is probably going to be the quickest/easiest to obtain.

If you are in an area with lots of stores like Best Buy or similar the A+ will probably get you the quickest employment. Yeah, the pay may not be the best and it most likely will not be your dream job but at least it can get you steady income in shorter period of time.

The CCNA in most areas will get you a better pay rate but depending on how long it takes you to earn it you may still have a bit of a job hunt before you find something solid.

If you are collecting unemployment you may want to check with the EDD and see if they have any programs for training. I know here in California if you are on unemployment there are some programs you can apply for that will pay for part (or all) of your CCNA and other select credentials.

I know out here the trend seems to be hiring contractors versus placing full-time. I hear people rant about not wanting to do contract work but something is better then nothing and some of those short term gigs have a nice hourly rate to them. Just make sure if you are getting paid as a 1099 you talk to a tax professional to see how much from each check you need to save and if your locality require you to file a business license etc. because uncle sam always comes for his money!
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I'm probably closer to getting my A+, without much studying, as I haven't donemuch Cisco work lately, but lots of PC/laptop stuff. And Cisco is a lot drier reading wise, at least for me. I like the Cisco pay more than the PC pay, and if they were equal, I'd prob rather do PC stuff. I worked lousy hours, or in really stressful environments when I did Cisco in the past.

I have no prob working contract, in fact, most of the I.T. work I did before was contract. Sure, benefits and that are nice, but a job is a job at this point. Plus, working contract, I was able to work in many different environments, which is a learning experience in of itself. Sometimes working for one employer exclusively, at least in my opinion, can limit you to some extent.