Applying to 2 jobs with same company

What are your thoughts on simultaneously applying for two jobs with the same company?

I found two jobs, one a senior position and the other a semi-senior position, so I applied for both. It's like a gamble.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can't score if you don't take the shot.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I try to work out who is going to see my cv, if it's going to two different people then I apply for both. If its only going to one I apply for the one I'm more confident of.
    If I'm dealing through an agent then I thrash it out with them and get there input.

If you do get an interview be prepared for the questin why did you apply for both? We all know the answer but in interview situation my brain goes to sludge lol

tbh I dont think there is a right or wrong answer as Mike says gotta be in it to win it.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree there's no problem with applying for both job.

take note of you signature ;) you may have applied for both but remember what one you are really after. You may end up coming second best for the top job, to someone with more experience and qualifications. This is different from not being good enough for the top job. In this case your in a strong position to approach the second job.

On the other hand if the top job is a wild gamble that you don't really expect to achieve, then a company/interviewer may look down on that.

Suggesting you are willing to take a step back for the privilege of working for a company is one thing, Overselling you self, or suggesting you have skills you don't, is not going to go down well.

You just have to make sure you are ready to answer why you have applied for both. Because it is a question they are guaranteed to ask, if the person doing the interview knows.

Just make sure when you get asked, you don't make it sound like the lower post is a "safety net".
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.