A+ 2006 or 2009

magooodmagoood Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I'm pursuing the Cisco CCNA on a slow pace but what I'm pursuing to have first, and working on it with a higher pace, is the A+ 2006 (the 601 and 602 exams) but after I googled for a while, I discovered that they have made a new version of it (2009) and the 2006 is going to be expired in a short time during 2010 so I decided to focus on preparing myself to pass the new 2009 exams but unfortunately, I did not find any practice questions for it online so that I have some confidence before taking the exam so I'm confused about whether to take the 2006 now and then take the bridge exam later on when some preparation materials/exams show up or I have to wait for some months and get the 2009 exams directly?

Also regarding that bridge exam, Will it entitle me to have the new 701 and 702 certificates instead of the older 601 and 602 ones (assuming that I passed them) as if I entered these exams in the first place or not?

My main focus is to obtain the A+ certifications as quickly as I can (within 1 month or so from now as I'm laid off right now) with the least amount of cost (may be because 601+602+bridge 'll cost more than 701+702 exams)

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Once your A+ certified, your A+ certified. Don't let the old vs. the new be a big thing. I was cutting close last year and just did the old N+. I could order the new style of the N+ certificate if I really wanted. There is no reason to update your certification to the new one unless your employer requests it.

I am currently studying for the A+ as a requirement for Western Governors University. If your concerned that you are not going to be able to make the deadline for the older 2006 version than I would just grab ExamCram A+ book and use it to update your knowledge to the 2009 A+ version.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    magoood wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm pursuing the Cisco CCNA on a slow pace but what I'm pursuing to have first, and working on it with a higher pace, is the A+ 2006 (the 601 and 602 exams) but after I googled for a while, I discovered that they have made a new version of it (2009) and the 2006 is going to be expired in a short time during 2010 so I decided to focus on preparing myself to pass the new 2009 exams but unfortunately, I did not find any practice questions for it online so that I have some confidence before taking the exam so I'm confused about whether to take the 2006 now and then take the bridge exam later on when some preparation materials/exams show up or I have to wait for some months and get the 2009 exams directly?

Also regarding that bridge exam, Will it entitle me to have the new 701 and 702 certificates instead of the older 601 and 602 ones (assuming that I passed them) as if I entered these exams in the first place or not?

My main focus is to obtain the A+ certifications as quickly as I can (within 1 month or so from now as I'm laid off right now) with the least amount of cost (may be because 601+602+bridge 'll cost more than 701+702 exams)

I found that the biggest difference between the 2006 exam and 2009 exam was Windows Vista...Of course there's DDR3, Blue-ray, etc listed in the updated objectives, but I noticed that the key difference in the exam questions were more Vista-specific questions. I don't know about anyone else, but that's what I saw and, honestly, you're going to run into XP (and eventually Windows 7) a WHOLE lot more than Vista. It's really up to you how relevant you feel that it'll be to you, but for me personally, I took the older exam since there was so many more resources to study from. As Veritas said, certified for life...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com