Options

Network+ Scheduled For Tomorrow

aznluvsmcaznluvsmc Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, I decided I wouldn't be able to take the tense anticipation of waiting a week to write my Network+ exam so I scheduled it for tomorrow. Does anyone have any last minute tips or suggestions for the exam?

I'm just going to write down my understanding of the different OSI model layers so feel free to correct or add something that maybe important for the exam.

Layer 7 - Application : closest to end user, provides support to the applications such as E-mail, web browswers FTP clients. HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, POP3, SMTP work at these layers.

Layer 6 - Presentation : converts the data into the correct format to for the Application layer or converts the data to the correct format for the lower layer protocols depending on whether the host is transmitting or receiving. JPEG, GIF are defined at these layers. Does the presentation layer define all application extensions such as .doc, .pdf?

Layer 5 - Session : Tracks the individual sessions between computers to deliver data to the appropriate computer. For example, if my computer is accessing data on two different computers, it's the job of the session layer to monitor the two different connections.

Comments

• Options
    aznluvsmcaznluvsmc Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Layer 4 - Transport : Responsible for breaking the data into segments or packets to be encapsulated within a Data Link frame. Handles the sequencing of data and ensures reliable data delivery. TCP (connection-oriented) & UDP (connectionless) protocols work at this layer.

Layer 3 - Network : Responsible for routing of packets within an internetwork. Reads the IP address of the packet. IP, IPX, ARP, RARP, ICMP & BOOTP work at this layer.

Layer 2 - Data Link : Divided by the IEEE into MAC sublayer and LLC sublayer.

MAC : responsible for hardware addressing and data framing.
    LLC : defined by IEEE 802.2. Hides the underlying network architecture used from the network layer enabling different technologies to be used with a specific protocol.

Layer 1 : Physical : defines electrical specifications for network hardware. Converts binary data into electrical signals for transmission over the wire.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I believe all this information is in our OSI Model TechNote ...
  • Options
    jbruyetjbruyet Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One thing I would strongly recommend is reading the questions more than once before answering. When I took the test some of them seemed straightforward, but after reading them a couple of times I realized I had misread a word or some such nonsense.

Good luck!

Joe
  • Options
    msempermsemper Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you know the Port and which protocol that each use will see them on the exam!!. The tech notes on this web site is great!!!!!
  • Options
    ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    The key to taking an exam of this type is to read each question extremely well. The language of the questions is chosen very carefully, and sometimes very deviously. In many cases, questions are designed to trick you into thinking that they are easier than they actually are. If an answer seems painfully obvious, read the question over again. Chances are, the obvious answer is not the correct one. In some cases, all of the responses are correct, and you are instructed to select the one that best answers the question, so always be sure to read all of the possible responses, even when the first one seems correct.

Even if you are completely stumped about a question, you should take a guess before the exam is over. Leave yourself a few minutes at the end of the test to make any guesses you need to, so that you don't leave any questions unanswered.

When 90 minutes have elapsed and the exam is over, there is a brief delay as the computer totals your score. You then receive the results on the spot, with a printed report that breaks down your score into several topics. If you fail the test, this report can be an excellent guide to the material that requires further study. If you pass, the report contains the certification number that you can use to prove your status.

and i know you are going to pass :D:D:D
  • Options
    ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    1. If you come across a question that you don't know, think about it. Usually you can eliminate two of the answers right off the bat by using common sense.
    2. If you don't know the answer or are making a guess, "mark" the problem and come back later to look at it. I found the during another question it helped me on a previous question.
    3. When in doubt (at least for me) take the easiest route. That is, I found with my test they had questions that I knew the answers to and it always seemed the easiest way to do something. Remember this is a Microsoft test and Microsoft always does things the easiest way.
    4. Don't second-guess yourself. I don't remember the exact numbers but something like 70% of the time if you check an answer and then go back and second-guess yourself, you unmarked the correct answer.
    5. Relax during the test. You have like 2 hours or something? If you need to, use the entire time.