The death of Dynamips

An interesting article on the future of Dynamips under cisco new IOS license

Read more: Cisco IOS hints and tricks: The death of Dynamips: they’ve got it all wrong

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What they said in the article.

Alledgely Cisco won't be using the universal images for any old platform like the 7200. It is only for the ISR G2 and newer routers. I guess that a newer 7200 SUP might have it.

Dynamips already had issues with emulating the hardware architecture of the newer routers anyway so this isn't really changing anything.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    tiersten wrote: »
    What they said in the article.

Alledgely Cisco won't be using the universal images for any old platform like the 7200. It is only for the ISR G2 and newer routers. I guess that a newer 7200 SUP might have it.

Dynamips already had issues with emulating the hardware architecture of the newer routers anyway so this isn't really changing anything.

The software activation / licensing is worrying. I tried 15.0M on one of my 2800's, it seems to implement some licensing for gatekeeper & IPS features - It started a 8 week trial license for the features although it didn't actually appear to count down.

I'm hoping as one of the comments says, Cisco has something up their sleeve to help us all.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    It would be nice if cisco offered some kind of free or almost free education licensing... I can understand them wanting to protect their property and make a buck off it but stopping someone like me from running whatever IOS I like for learning purposes is not very decent of them. Besides it's to their advantage to have more cisco certified people out there. It drives down the cost of supporting their hardware and last I checked they like selling hardware.

Regretably when you are that big (think microsoft or apple) you can pretty well do what you like and people will follow.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    tha_dub wrote: »
    It would be nice if cisco offered some kind of free or almost free education licensing... I can understand them wanting to protect their property and make a buck off it but stopping someone like me from running whatever IOS I like for learning purposes is not very decent of them.
    Yeah. Its been suggested before on this forum and else where. They'd have a version/key that enabled everything but severely restricted the throughput or made it reboot every day etc...

At the moment, you can get a 1 time only free limited duration license key in the new universal images but obviously thats more for limited testing before forking out the $$$ to buy the license. It isn't aimed at educational use.