Provide 3 references beforehand?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I saw an interesting IT internship job that requires to submit 1) Cover Letter 2) Resume 3) List 3 references

I only have 2 references. I have 1 previous manager that wants me to tell him each time when to expect a call. This would annoy him if I let him know in advance that I'm applying to a job that wants reference. And there is no guarantee that I will get the job as there are so many candidates that apply.

Should I give references beforehand? or not apply to this job at all?

Comments

• captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Do you want the job? If so, then call this manager to let him know you are applying and what the job is. If not, move on!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    They'll only contact refs if they are considering you for the job. List the references on your resume and advise your manager if you make it to the final rounds of interviews.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd keep the references as a separate document. Resumes should be as short and concise as possible (Ideally just a single page for someone without a great deal of experience), and you're just taking up valuable space if you include references.

I'd either let your previous manager know what the situation is or include a note on your list of references for them to contact you before making any calls, so you can give your references a heads-up, per their request.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    In regards to only having 2 out of the 3 references, I would recommend if you have gone to college that you look up a previous professor/instructor who may remember you. Either that, or think outside the box and look for character reference rather than a technical reference, like your pastor/minister/rabbi/sheik/whatever.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    laptop wrote: »
    I saw an interesting IT internship job that requires to submit 1) Cover Letter 2) Resume 3) List 3 references

I only have 2 references. I have 1 previous manager that wants me to tell him each time when to expect a call. This would annoy him if I let him know in advance that I'm applying to a job that wants reference. And there is no guarantee that I will get the job as there are so many candidates that apply.

I would provide all the information that they’re looking. I wouldn’t use your old manager, because it sounds like he’s annoyed when you ask to use him as a reference. In my opinion when you give references you want people that will put you in the best light possible, if you know what I mean. Also, if you want an edge on getting this internship list any awards you have received in school, and list your GPA if it’s above 3.5. Have you tried Relationships Matter | LinkedIn It can be a great place to keep track of references.
    Good luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    laptop wrote: »

Not to be a jerk, but from all your posts about references it sounds like you are just scared to call your old bosses and ask them. Man up and call them or don't get a new job. The choice is yours.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.