Options

CIW credit towards CISSP

For my fellow WGU members wondering what to do with those CIW certifications...

(I don't know if this information was already posted since the article is almost two months old.)

Certified Internet Web Professional | CIW-certified.com
Usus magister est optimus

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Wow nice!

Wonder what it exactly translates into as far as credit towards the CISSP
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Wow nice!

Wow maybe that means these certs DO mean something. Maybe these will pick up and be listed on jobs now. Hmm..
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

The article says one year off the experience requirement, just like all these: (ISC)² Security Transcends Technology
    knwminus wrote: »
    Wow maybe that means these certs DO mean something. Maybe these will pick up and be listed on jobs now. Hmm..

Only if they add something unique. I don't see any value in entry-level Security+ clones.
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    CISSP recognizing the CIW certification program will increase the credibility of these certifications. However, it just takes a year off the five year professional experience requirements ((ISC)² Security Transcends Technology) for the ISC2/CISSP certification. The CIW certifications were added to the list of approved year waiver list ((ISC)² Security Transcends Technology), like Sec+, any GIAC cert, CISM or CISA, MSCE, etc.

It is nice to see the security certification boards coming together.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    its almost insulting tha the Sec+ and other entry level stuff takes as much time off the CISSP as an MCSE.
  • Options
    its almost insulting tha the Sec+ and other entry level stuff takes as much time off the CISSP as an MCSE.

Or that either of those does as much as a masters...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think what it comes down to is that ISC(2) is unwilling to take off more than a year for any formal education. This is the same treatment they give to all certifications. They are trying to protect their certification's reputation.
  • Options
    You consider certs to be formal education?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    You consider certs to be formal education?

My bad I was tired and actually referring to your comment on a Master degree. icon_redface.gif No I don't think a certification should be treated as equal a degree.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Not only are a very large number of certification consider equal in qualifying for the one-year experience waiver, but any four-year college degree also qualifies for the same waiver, not just a Masters degree.

So in this regard, a CIW Associates is equivalent to an MCSE, and a BA in Communications is equivalent to a Masters in Information Security from a CAE/IAE school. Regardless of how difficult the cert or degree was to obtain, you can't waive more than a year of professional experience for the CISSP cert.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Rather than making CIW more credible I think this makes ISC2 slightly less credible. Obviously they're still a credible organization, but the fact that they're willing to take such a brain-dead easy cert as a years worth of security experience is a bit weird.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Maybe CIW is an affiliate of the (ISC)2, or perhaps they paid for the privilege of having their certs listed.