Options

CCNA Exam Prep Advice

DAMDAM Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear fellow Cisco sages(!)

I am writing to ask for the best advice on initiating practical preparation and study for taking either the ICND 1 & 2 exams separately or taking the single option of the CCNA exam.

Please consider my background and experience if you may:

Education and Training:
BSc(Hons) Broadcast Technology 2005 (Comms & Elec Eng.), Network+ 2006, 5 Day ICND 1 & 2 courses, Feb & March 2009.

Work Experience:
From 2006 onwards v.limited admin and some physical hardware installation experience with Cisco Switches. From 2007 onwards none whatsoever other than working within a heavily orientated Cisco network infrastructure and co-ordinating network support engineers to carry out Cisco support responsibilities.

Since late 2008 working in a IT/Training & Development role, as part of job studied for 5 days at Cisco network academy in a lab learning basic/intermediate configuration concepts.

Over last year project managed installation of a basic 12 student IT Lab to accommodate an entry-level, hands-on network training course to be delivered by yours truly (Gulpl!).

I have made some attempts to prepare for the exam(s) at various stages since 2007. However due to work commitments and refurbishing my home, this has proven very difficulty due to the tough nature and task of passing these worthwhile exams. It has lead to many hours of b/grounding reading and forgetting it all.

I have now the serious opportunity to prepare and take either of the examination options and want consider the best approach based on my background.

I am familiar with the Wendell Odom Study Guides and have read them extensively to varying degrees. I also have the Exam Cram books and have also recently started reading the CCNA Flash Cards book. I have also have some experience of using PT v5.0. but sometimes find it frustrating to use even though it is an amazing piece of software.

I will have over the next 4-5 months dedicated time (5-10 hours/week) at my workplace to use PT5 and will shortly have to install half a dozen 3750's and 12 workstations in preparation for delivering a training course in June.

I would like to at least pass the ICND1 exam by May and take the ICND2 by Sept.

From the 'What is the hardest topic to study for CCNA?' here's my honest opinion of my knowledge and ability of understanding the CCNA objectives areas:

Bridging/Switching 5/10
7-layer OSI Model 7/10
Routed Protocols (IP) 6/10
Routing Protocol (RIP, IGRP etc.) 5/10
WAN Protocols (Frame Relay, ISDN, PPP, etc.) 4/10
LAN Technologies 6/10
Basic Router Management and Configuration 5/10
Access Lists 2/10

I remember having a real brain-jam with Sub-netting. Just when you think you got it, you forget it or otherwise. I also remember not enjoying ACL's at all and found Frame Relay very difficult to get to grips with - I'm sure this is not unusual.

I realise I have a lot of work to do and do not underestimate how much of a challenge passing these exams are as I know and have observed over a dozen colleagues and friends take the exams, fail 1st time and then pass.

Based the above can anyone pass on some sound advice on how to focus attentions in terms of the becoming practical fluent with configuring the kit without having to repeatedly go over it as I have noticed this before ie you configure it, then forget it over a period and configure it again, forget it! I am hoping that a solid study path with realistic exam date will prevent this?

Any feedback or constructive comments will greatly appreciated,

Regards,

D
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go. Theodore Roethke

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Wow, long post.

Sounds as if you got a very good background to get these certs, you should have enough time before June as well. You've got the ODOM books, some people recommend the Todd Lammle CCNA book as well. The CBT Nuggets courses are good too if you like watching videos.

It is common to fail the first exam, not through lack of knowledge but the nerves setting in and running out of time.
    Based the above can anyone pass on some sound advice on how to focus attentions in terms of the becoming practical fluent with configuring the kit without having to repeatedly go over it as I have noticed this before ie you configure it, then forget it over a period and configure it again, forget it! I am hoping that a solid study path with realistic exam date will prevent this?
    Retention of the commands is a problem of mine as well, I forgot the most basic of commands on my CCNA Security exam, it did come back to me after about 5 minutes but it was a worrying time. IMO the only way is to lab, lab & lab. Preferably with real equipment followed by GNS3 (google it if you haven't heard of it) then simulators.

Simulators are ok but they do hide some of the "real" factor away from you, although you should have that covered. There is nothing like learning how the boot process works by accidentally deleting the IOS from flash then spending 3 hours trying to TFTP then using ymodem to it back in.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Todd Lammle CCNA book
    Great for subnetting -- and should be a good refresher for your previous Odom reading. Todd's book is also a "fun read" if you want to ease back into your Cisco Studies.

Then head on over to subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online and do a few at lunch/night until you have that "Ah-Ha!!" moment. Then just do a few problems a day to keep you subnetting skills up.

You can find additional information in the CCNA Forum FAQ. There's an additional post with possible links for a future FAQ update that's also worth checking out. There should be a link in that post to the http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html?highlight=subnetting+made+easy post that lots of people also find helpful.

Packet tracer is still limited and not a full fledged simulator -- it usually is used along with real hardware labs in Cisco Network Academies.

Sounds like you just need to focus, and motivate to make sure you keep your "study dates" with Cisco. The more hands on lab work you do (especially when you hit the ICND2 material), the easier the exams are.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Re: mikem2te

That's sounds like some good advice, cheers for that.

I think you make a good point about how some of the real-life accidents are really how you learn some of this stuff. This is where the Cisco exams really sort out the men from the boys!

However saying this, a partial friend of mine who hasn't had much b/ground in CCNA or networking decided on a career path changed after working in sales logistics took a 5 day 'Pass CCNA' course before Xmas and passed the ICND1 a month ago, then last week passed ICND2! I was sick as a dog...if he does get a job out industry it will be interesting to see how he gets on, well I hope!
  • Options
    Thanks for the links and advice. Just checked out the Subnetting site, great stuff.

Just been trying to write a study plan to make sure I can cover all the exam objectives - there's no easy way through it is there?

How far do you feel PT5 can go to prepare you for the exams?

How much more hands-on experience do you realistically need with physical kit and most importantly what is it that gives you the advantage by having real hands on - is the nuances of understanding how a physical set-up actually behaves etc from say a trouble-shooting point of view?

Cheers,

D
  • Options
    DAM wrote: »
    Just been trying to write a study plan to make sure I can cover all the exam objectives - there's no easy way through it is there?
    There is the "One Chapter, One Beer" study method. As long as you really read the chapter (from Wendell & Todd's books), answer any end of chapter questions, and practice any chapter lab tasks "hands on" you get to drink a beer. The best I've ever done was 4 chapters/beers on a weekend day. On week nights, that beer is the "carrot" to help you get through a chapter after a (hard) days works.

Make sure you take some notes while studying and schedule in some review time (and beers).
    How far do you feel PT5 can go to prepare you for the exams?
    Time spent learning the Packet Tracer software, how it works, how to use it, and what it can and cannot do is NOT time spent preparing for the exams. And time spent trying to figure out why something isn't working as expected (software bugs or unsupported feature) also doesn't count as study time.

I did the Cisco CCNA Network Academy and we didn't even bother with Packet Tracer since we had the full hardware Lab Pods. Packet Tracer has gotten better since, but it's still not a 100% lab solution. It may be enough to get through the ICND1 exam.
    How much more hands-on experience do you realistically need with physical kit and most importantly what is it that gives you the advantage by having real hands on - is the nuances of understanding how a physical set-up actually behaves etc from say a trouble-shooting point of view?
    The hands on practice helps reinforce the knowledge -- and makes it "real." There is a big difference between reading about network routing (and even switching) and actually setting it up and seeing it work. And verification and troubleshooting skills are almost impossible to learn just from a book.

It is possible to pass the exams without ever touching real hardware -- but it's preferable to do that using remote rack access rather than just a simulator. :D

The Boson Simulator (and it's Labs) are still probably the best (overpriced) simulator available. If you stick to the Labs then you'll miss most (if not all) the software bugs.

The Cisco Press CCNA Simulator is more like the Cisco Academy Network eLabs -- just Flash/Java scenarios to solve (or be walked through), rather than a full fledged simulator. But the skills you apply are the same ones you do with real hardware -- you're just kept on a leash, which can keep you from getting distracted by shiny flashing lights and leaning anything that isn't required for the CCNA (and may prepare you for the more advanced Cisco Certifications).

Some people memorize a few configurations (especially if they went to a 5 day bootcamp) and hope to see them (or something very similar) on the the exam. Other people learn the ALL the concepts and can apply them to any situation -- like in real life on the job.

You should be able to pick out the "hands on" tasks from the exam blueprint topics on the Cisco web site. If you feel you can demonstrate that knowledge and skills hands on for the exam, then you may be ready. If you look at the hands on topics and don't have a clue what they mean, then you didn't do enough hands on prep for the exam(s).
  • Options
    Like the Study/Beer theory, although after 3 chapters I reckon I might be starting to lose interest in any more study...!

Thanks for the feedback on the whole simulator subject, most helpful. Surprised to learn that the Boson Netsim is still as useful. I did have a copy but moved on when got hold of PT5. Might have to re-visit.

However you mentioned that PT5 might be enough to pass ICND1. If I were to rely on PT5, and the definite possiblity of setting up a 12 PC training network with access to 6 x 3750's, do you feel I would have a suitable platform to practice and learn all of the necessary configuration requirements to meet the prepare for the ICND1 exam? (And possbily the basis for ICND2)

I realise that I do not have a hardware Router to play with, but I am aware I can use the L3 functions of the 3750's - is this enough? Or can PT5 or Bosom Netsim provide the shortfall.

I realise that I am asking a pretty woolly question here but I am trying to establish whether I might need to purchase a harware router to play at home with to enhance prep for the ICND1. I realise that this might an essential purchase for ICND2 prep.

Any feedback gladly appreciated,

D
  • Options
    You'll be able to do a lot with the 3750s -- and fallback to a SIM for things like the WAN topics.
  • Options
    Have been looking at a couple of Lab kits on ebay. Can anyone kindly offer an opinion on the following range of kit for preparing for CCNA and as a basis for studying for CCNP/CCSP at a later date:

1 x 2610XM advanced Ethernet Serial Routers (Maximum Memory)
    1 x 2610 Dual Ethernet Serial Routers (Maximum Memory)
    1 x 2610 Frame-Relay Routers (Maximum Memory)
    2 x 2924-XL-EN Switch (Enhanced Cisco IOS)

or may be more suitable:

1 x Cisco WS-C2924-XL-EN Switch 24 x 100Mb Ports EE IOS
    1 x Cisco WS-C2950-24 Switch 24 x 100Mb Ports
    1 x Cisco 2620XM Router 128Mb/32Mb 12.4K9 ADV Security
    1 x Cisco 2610 Router 64Mb/16Mb IOS 12.2
    1 x Cisco 3620 Modular Router 32Mb/8Mb
    1 x Cisco NM-4T Frame Relay Card (will be installed in the 3620)
    1 x Cisco NM-1E2W One Ethernet Port (installed in the 3620)

Cheers,

D