Taking image of a virtual PC

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm just not sure if you can use Symentec Ghost to take an image of a virtual pc (Microsoft VPC 2007). I have tried it, and it fails and I can't seem to find any documentation on this.

Has anybody done this?

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are the error messages? What version of Ghost? I've used Ghost (from Ghost Solution Suite) in various VM software (though I haven't tried it in VPC) and it's worked fine.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    What are the error messages? What version of Ghost? I've used Ghost (from Ghost Solution Suite) in various VM software (though I haven't tried it in VPC) and it's worked fine.

I have Ghost Solutions 2.5 installed on Win2k3 (virtual environment) and was able to install the client on an XP machine in virtual environment. I then went ahead and tried to take an image, it fails. In the log it says failed "to virtual partition". No firewall involved.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you doing this to lab Ghost or for another reason?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Are you doing this to lab Ghost or for another reason?

Just in a lab environment.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    you can copy the VHD, if wanting to make a cloned VM, or use ImageX/WDS which will capture images of VMs without a hitch.

I cant imagine why Ghost wouldnt work, though.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Ghost a Virtual PC - HELP, in Virtual PC

Or which VM product are you using? Because VMWARE has this:
    The Clone Virtual Machine Wizard
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    I have Ghost Solutions 2.5 installed on Win2k3 (virtual environment) and was able to install the client on an XP machine in virtual environment. I then went ahead and tried to take an image, it fails. In the log it says failed "to virtual partition". No firewall involved.
    I haven't tried that scenario. I have copied ghost32.exe to a BartPE CD and booted that, and it works fine in VMware Workstation and Server, and XenServer.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV