Options

Switch/vlan question

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I don't think this is possible but can you have vlan 1 use a dhcp address instead of a statically assigned one and if not why? If so, why/when would you use this in the real world?

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    CORE(config)#int vlan 1
    CORE(config-if)#ip add ?
    A.B.C.D IP address
    dhcp IP Address negotiated via DHCP

It will definitely work. Not sure about using it in the real world. I suppose you could configure static reservations in your DHCP server, but leave the switch as a DHCP client. As far as pulling a random IP from the pool, I wouldn't want to do that. If DNS was working right you could use DHCP and manage the switch via hostname... but I don't control DNS (or DHCP), so I'd rather stick with static IPs.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    CORE(config)#int vlan 1
    CORE(config-if)#ip add ?
    A.B.C.D IP address
    dhcp IP Address negotiated via DHCP

It will definitely work. Not sure about using it in the real world. I suppose you could configure static reservations in your DHCP server, but leave the switch as a DHCP client. As far as pulling a random IP from the pool, I wouldn't want to do that. If DNS was working right you could use DHCP and manage the switch via hostname... but I don't control DNS (or DHCP), so I'd rather stick with static IPs.

Weird. That is exactly where I look on my 2950 to try to add a dhcp address and it said the command wasn't recognized. Interesting.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    My guess would be IOS version... I picked up an old 2611 and couldn't assign the eth interfaces as DHCP until I upgraded the IOS... Funny thing is it made my internet run like 1985 when I ran NAT and used it for my internet router.... ;)