Is this even possible

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

After my disaster losing 1TB of data i now have 2 X 1TB but ide rather not mirror them, instead i plan to have Music on 1 and Film/TV on the other

With my personal files like pictures word docs etc......i would like to have a backup on each drive

So my question is, can I have a folder on 1 TB called say.."My Files" and create an automated exe that I can schedule to run every 2 or 4 weeks or whenever I want, to copy the folder onto my other 1 TB, i dont mind if it simply replaces the entire folder but as long as it copies onto my other drive

Is this possible?

Thanks

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Certainly. I have always liked Cobian Backup. Cobian Backup

It's pretty simple to configure and is reliable. I DO NOT suggest you use a batch file and a scheduled task as that seems to fail some times.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    is it possible for me to partition 100 gig off the 2 drives and raid 1 just that 100 gig
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Lee H wrote: »
    is it possible for me to partition 100 gig off the 2 drives and raid 1 just that 100 gig

No, RAID works on the entire drive.

Checkout SyncToy or use a RoboCopy script.

Why not use something like Windows Home Server or Acronis/Backup Exec System Recovery and backup your data up on something external to the box?

Or use Carbonite or JungleDisk/S3 and backup your stuff into the cloud?
    Good luck to all!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »

Why not use something like Windows Home Server or Acronis/Backup Exec System Recovery and backup your data up on something external to the box?

OH NO NOT THE CLOUD

icon_lol.gif
  • TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122

Not entirely if using linux you could fdisk the drive create 2 100 partitions on each then create a raid
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    That still doesn't count as a proper backup. If your PSU goes bang and both drives fry then everything is gone. Or if you get a virus/worm/whatever and it formats both drives then again, everything is gone.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

This explains why the question seemed silly to me. I some how did not even see the part about raid...

If the data is so important I suggest a secondary system that you can copy to.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use a simple Briefcase and manually "update all" every few days.

Personally I do not know anybody besides me that uses it, but it is free and it works.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    i agree having a backup outside of the system is really the only way forward

maybe an 8 gig pen drive done manually will suffice

how does everyone else back up there personal files on there home PC maybe thats a poll for the future, there has to be a very simple but effective way that takes up no time attall

thanks for you info guys
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Lee H wrote: »
    ihow does everyone else back up there personal files on there home PC maybe thats a poll for the future, there has to be a very simple but effective way that takes up no time attall

Long ago when I was a youngling I lost an entire 10 megabyte hard drive due to stiction on an IBM XT. A wise person reminded me of my mainframe training and introduced me to the mysterious NOIDS. I have a pair of noids sitting on the shelf to remind me to back up early and often, just like we used to vote in Chicago under Mayor Daily senior.

Fun aside I have a two terabyte RAID 0 NAS box hung off of my home network. Three servers, three desktops, one laptop , one netbook, and an occasional laptop when my daughters drop by all back to it. A fourth desktop not used for much else has an LTO2 200/400 gigabyte tape drive which backups up the NAS every month or so.

Basically I have a disk to disk to tape backup system. Overkill for some but it was good enough for my father and my fathers father so it is good enough for me. No I am not paranoid remember they are sitting on the shelf reminding me to rotate the tape.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it. icon_cool.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO