Using an Apple ipad to aid study?

davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi All,

Just had a look at the apple ipad and i was wondering if anyone else would use one to study... think about it... Watch CBT's on its almost 10inch screen... listen to audio training... use a terminal program along with the wi-fi (or 3g if you can bear using at&t's already crowded network) to ssh into your Linux servers or mocha vnc or rdp to your windows servers for practical sessions... btw you could also telnet from the terminal program so your Cisco gear is controllable... All from the comfort of your own bed.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
David
Failure is a stepping stone to success...

Comments

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Gee sounds just like my netbook in my reclining chair. Not in bed however that is reserved for sleeping and other non technical activities. The 3g would be nice if you are not near a wi-fi hotspot though. If it was Verizon and not AT&T
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    use a terminal program
    Doing this on a touchscreen with the virtual keyboard is going to be painful especially since you may want to type control characters. If you're using the keyboard dock with the iPad then you might as well get a netbook/laptop at this point.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Frankly the iPad just doesn't do it for me - I thought it was way over hyped and Apple under delivered to be honest. I've always had an interest for combined purpose devices but I haven't found one that can cover all three areas that my current devices perform well enough to my liking so I go the route of separate devices.

I'll stick to my set of three devices I typically have with me at all times for study:

MacBook Pro 13"
    iPod Touch
    Kindle DX

All fits nicely along with some accessories in a fairly small sized Incase case:
    http://www.goincase.com/products/images/CL57065/detail/black1.jpg

MacBook is used for when I need access to VM's, home lab gear, or Internet access while the iPod Touch is used for audio training and/or CBT's at times. Kindle DX is obviously used for reading texts on the go. Between all of this I can do just about anything I need anywhere I am. If I am studying abroad I'll likely be either at the office, a coffee shop, or a library. If I'm elsewhere I need to study and I don't have access to wifi then I I can always tether my BB Tour to my notebook and use Verizon's 3g.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The idea sounds good, why not. HP slate looks good too.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheShadow - non other technical activites...enough said... rofl

tiersten - yeah your right, I was actually wanting to pair the ipad with the full blown bluetooth keyboard for the mac books.

msteinhilber - you said it... Boy did they undeliver!!! I almost HATE apple for not including multitasking and flash not to mention a camera... but I forgive them because I think the apps are going to make the ipad something big!!!

chrisone - you're right the hp slate is lovely... have you seen the archos 9? I'm torn between the two (the ipad and the archos 9) if only the archos had multi touch!!! If only...

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...