Options

Ping spikes using DSL

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Using the DSL modem Verizon provided, hooked to a Belkin wireless router. I have a Linksys USB wireless card on my pc, constantly getting excellent signal strength.

I try playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. My ping will be fine (around 100), then while I'm playing, it will spike up to around 900 and I'll constantly be pulled back in the game. It seems as if I'm dropping connection, but I'm not.

It does this in every game I attempt to play and I have no idea why. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    Is there any way for you to temporarily bypass the router and connect your PC directly to the DSL modem through a regular ethernet jack? If the latency problems go away, it might be an issue with your wireless network signal dropping out from interference, or distance, or some other strange reason. I don't think that's the case, as you already you're consistently getting a "strong signal" at that PC.

So unfortunately, it might be a latency issue with your DSL provider. If that's the case, there's probably not a lot you can do other than complain to them.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I've never been a fan of those USB wireless cards personally.... I have never been satisfied with them.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    lazyart wrote:
    I've never been a fan of those USB wireless cards personally.... I have never been satisfied with them.

That's a good point. There might be some "overhead" associated with sending a network signal through a USB port that causes just enough latency to screw up your gaming experience. I don't have much experience with those, unfortunately (or maybe it's fortunately? )
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    USB wireless sucks icon_lol.gif

The only reason I use it is to connect a clients machine to my lab machine when they don't have a NIC installed to allow a remote AV scan.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Maybe I'll try a PCI wireless card next...$50 is just a lot when it's not sure to fix the problem.