Options

trying to decide

stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am trying to decide weather or not to take the CCNA Feburay 25.

I just made some extra money but still unemployed really feel like I am going no where right now, I have obtained 4 certs that I put off over the last 4 months one a month has been my goal I have studied off an on for the last year. I took January off because I was really down after not getting a job I should have got but, due HR practices (cough) I didn't get the job. I just don't know how much the CCNA would help me I am more of wanting to get in to security/ forensics

Here are some options

Option A
Take the exam 25

Option B
Wait take it March 5 or 10

Option C
Pay of a Credit Card get that crap out of my life.

Option D
Sit on it for a while longer.

Thanks
Free Reading : History Books

Comments

• Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Well, depending on how much debt you're carrying on the credit card, you can probably put that to the side until you find a job. The credit card companies can wait and the most important thing you can do is keep the lights on and food on the table.

As for the job search, are you applying for any IT job or only the ones that focus on security? Right now, I'm in the same boat, but I'm mostly applying for jobs that I already have experience in. Sure, it's not going to improve my skill set as much as I would like, but I'm just looking for a job that will provide a steady income for the time being. Hopefully within a year or two companies might be more willing to take a chance on those of us looking to gain on-the-job experience.

As for the CCNA, take it whenever you're ready and add it to the resume!

Best of luck.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am trying to decide weather or not to take the CCNA Feburay 25.

I just made some extra money but still unemployed really feel like I am going no where right now, I have obtained 4 certs that I put off over the last 4 months one a month has been my goal I have studied off an on for the last year. I took January off because I was really down after not getting a job I should have got but, due HR practices (cough) I didn't get the job. I just don't know how much the CCNA would help me I am more of wanting to get in to security/ forensics

Here are some options

Option A
    Take the exam 25

Option B
    Wait take it March 5 or 10

Option C
    Pay of a Credit Card get that crap out of my life.

Option D
    Sit on it for a while longer.

Thanks

I'd say maybe pay your credit cards down and save some money. The CCNA without exp isn't going to help that much and the CCNA is somewhat difficult. Do you have any networking experience? Do you see many of the jobs you are applying for asking for the CCNA? If so then maybe you should strive for the CCENT and then redo your resume stating that you are working towards the CCNA.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One of the first certs required of our analysts is the CCNA. You need a solid networking foundation for security. I'd take it if you're ready and wait if you're not. Don't rush into it and throw money away if money's tight at the moment.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would pay the credit card down, and put a little to the side if you can. Credit cards are toxic, and the sooner you knock them down, the better.

That being said, if it was me, I'd pay down the CC a little, and then schedule the exam. That way you're working towards your personal goals, but also getting rid of the debt.