Question about using a UPS to power a tv

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am considering buying a UPS in the $50-$80 range to power a small lcd tv (40w load) and other small devices. How much run time can I expect? I am also considering buying a battery-powered tv, or buying a tv tuner for my laptop that has a 12 cell battery that provides 4-5 hours of run time on average as alternatives.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    exampasser wrote: »
    I am considering buying a UPS in the $50-$80 range to power a small lcd tv (40w load) and other small devices. How much run time can I expect?
    Its like asking how long a piece of string is. It all depends on the UPS and how big the batteries are inside. Go read the specs and manual to find out the run time for a specific load.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for not listing some of the ones I've been looking at on my original post, I've been busy. I'll go check out APC's site next to find manuals.

Here is one that I am looking at:
    APC Back-UPS® ES 550VA 8-Outlet Power-Saving UPS | Staples®

It says up to 65 min time but it does not state the load.

Another one:
    http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-ES-650VA-8-Outlet-Green-UPS/product_725338?cmArea=SC3:CG75:DP1916:CL141931
    It says up to 87 min time.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here is one that I am looking at:
    APC Back-UPS® ES 550VA 8-Outlet Power-Saving UPS | Staples®

It says 65 min max run time but it does not state the load.
    We use these for some hardware @ work. If you look on the box, it will tell you how long it should last if you have "X" computer equipment plugged in. They last like 5 mins with a computer and monitor plugged in. Can't imagine they'd fare any better with a TV. I use them @ home to keep my router and modem powered in case of a power loss. Can't be without my internet. ;)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    I found an estimated run time graph based on load for both models, here is the one for the first model I was looking at:
    APC Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V

According to the graph I should be able to get 100+ min at a 40W load.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I am considering buying a UPS in the $50-$80 range to power a small lcd tv (40w load) and other small devices. How much run time can I expect? I am also considering buying a battery-powered tv, or buying a tv tuner for my laptop that has a 12 cell battery that provides 4-5 hours of run time on average as alternatives.

5-20 minutes depending on the load and the age of the UPS (and its batteries).

Getting closer to that 20minute time is for servers and allowing them enough time to safely power down and you'll be looking at a few hundred dollars to achieve that.

UPS under $100 are typically consumer grade and will not give you great run-time, but can condition the current to your devices.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Why do you want something (say a UPS) with 4-5 HOURS of run-time?
    They are not designed for this. 5 - 20 minutes is reasonable, and that 20 minute time is due to the time a server needs to be safely powered down.

You may want to seek out a generator, rather then an UPS
    I own a generator, but I don't have a garage to run it in which means I can't run it when it's storming outside.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would take what ever the graph says and half it. Look at the tiny print which looks like fly specs and you may see 50% load meaning your 40 watts is 20 watts on their chart. Even if they don't say it, real life that is all you can expect. You might invest in a Kill-O-Watt plug in and see what your TV really draws. It will draw considerably more as it ages and the electrolytic's become gassy.

Too bad about no shelter for a generator as a throw away 1000 watt one is often less than $100 at the home and outdoors stores. That would run your TV and a cube frig to keep the drinks cold for a while.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The thought occurs to me that you may not be looking for the monitoring and fast switch over of an UPS. If all you want is to be able to watch TV in a power failure, you could do this a lot cheaper. Buy a deep discharge marine battery, a float (trickle) charger and a 100 watt inverter. That should give you your 5 hours for considerably less than an UPS to do the job. You probably can get it all with a trip to a large auto supply store.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    TheShadow wrote: »
    The thought occurs to me that you may not be looking for the monitoring and fast switch over of an UPS. If all you want is to be able to watch TV in a power failure, you could do this a lot cheaper. Buy a deep discharge marine battery, a float (trickle) charger and a 100 watt inverter. That should give you your 5 hours for considerably less than an UPS to do the job. You probably can get it all with a trip to a large auto supply store.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that.