General CCSP Question

RealGuitarPlayerRealGuitarPlayer Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good morning everyone,

I have been lurking here for about 9 months, and thought it was time to create an account and contribute. I have a question about the CCSP, several actually.

Does the CCSP cover all the topics of the CCNP with an additional focus on security, or do you need to get both if you wish to be knowledgeable in all areas?

Also, to the guys that have a lot of certifications...

Do you guys ever get put in negative light because you have so many? I had a someone tell me that if I get all the certs I plan on getting that potential employers will either look at me as a person who just memorizes stuff and tests well, or someone WAY overqualified for most positions.
I have 8 yrs experience to go with my certs so I am not to sure what I am inclined to believe.

It is hard to judge what the average shop and average IT Manager is looking for. I currently work in a county hospital run on state funds, so we are so limited in what we do, asking guys around here or my boss does not usually provide an accurate answer as most shops run way different than this place.
Plans for 2010:

February: Sec+ (Completes MCSE:S)
March/April: MCITP:EA
June: Put the :S on my CCNA
July: Linux+
Aug-Dec: CCNP or CCSP not sure which yet

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Does the CCSP cover all the topics of the CCNP with an additional focus on security, or do you need to get both if you wish to be knowledgeable in all areas?
    Nope. You will get into things that CCNPs dont' even dream about.

If you go for the CCIE Security you'll be expected to have a lot of the Routing and Switching knowledge -- but you'll only be tested on the Security related aspects.
    Do you guys ever get put in negative light because you have so many? I had a someone tell me that if I get all the certs I plan on getting that potential employers will either look at me as a person who just memorizes stuff and tests well, or someone WAY overqualified for most positions.
    I have 8 yrs experience to go with my certs so I am not to sure what I am inclined to believe.
    Nope. But I've been networking for over 20 years now if you count running uucp over SLIP connections and mounting an AT&T 3B2 UNIX system's hard drive directory via a 2400 baud modem as a 3rd drive on a dual floppy IBM PC Clone.

I received more flack when I didn't have any Cisco Certifications and was getting contracts to clean up after a company's highly certified networking group that didn't seem to have any actual Cisco networking knowledge (but lots of **** they used to **** on their exams icon_rolleyes.gif).

Welcome to the TechExams.net forums. icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!