"Does IT Matter?"

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
From the the title it looks an anti-IT book, but I just put it on hold at my local library.

Amazon.com: Does IT Matter? Information Technology and the Corrosion of Competitive Advantage (9781591394440): Nicholas G. Carr: Books

Have you read it?

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't read his stuff because it's trivial fluff. That book was from 04 and IT matters even more now than then. Just another guy trying to ride a wave i'm not even sure he ever even worked in IT.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Seems like he has been a writer/editor all his life. I might be interested in his perspective if he had some relevant experience in the industry to back it up.

I also don't take parenting advice from friends that don't have children.
  • jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have not read that book, but my manager (I work for an IT managed services provider) has his second book and he claims that it is very very good. He recently loaned it to me, but I have yet to read it. I think the title is misleading.......
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the Amazon comments are any guide, a lot of you are taking this the wrong way.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never read it, and I don't see it making my reading list.

However, I would say if he approaches the question of "Does IT Matter?" from the standpoint of the productivity paradox, Productivity paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , then it might be a useful read.

It's ancient now, but here's a decent book about the productivity paradox: Amazon.com: Information Technology and the Productivity Paradox: Assessing the Value of Investing in IT (9780195121599): Henry C. Lucas Jr.: Books

MS
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    My local library is going to call this book from a remote branch, so I should get it in a week or two.

Sometimes it's good to read about opposing views, so I want to read the book just to see what 'IT's enemeies' have to say (I know I'm judging the book by the title).