Options

SSH Configuration

xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
I'm reading the ICND1 Book by Wendell Odem and I'm currently on the switch config chapter. I'm trying to mock everything in the chapter using my simulator and got stuck on SSH. The book shows the following commands:

SW1(config)#line vty 0 15
SW1(config-line)#login local
#transport input telnet ssh
#username wendell password hope
#ip domain-name example.com
#crypto key generate rsa

I get stuck at the "login local" command. I've tried it on a 2950 and 3550 switch in the simulator and "login local" is not accepted at the line config prompt. With a "?" the only commands shown are exit, login, and password.

Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit to add: I'm using Boson Netsim 6.0 if that makes a difference.
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

• Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    its probably a simulator thing, if you have real equipment give it a go
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    it's probably a sim thing, it works fine on a 2611xm with a cleared out config

see if the sim will let you do aaa new-model, some brain dead programmer at Boson may have thought that was a prereq to use the local authentication database
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's probably just not a supported command in the simulator. I think Boson 6.0 predates the current CCNA blueprint (and the SSH topic).

Simulators support a limited subset of commands -- and if you're trying to do things that aren't in the included labs then it may not be supported (or you may find a software bug).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Ah..I see. Thanks for the replies. You're probably right since I'm sure I was duplicating the config in the book exactly. One more reason to look into getting some hardware soon.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    super22super22 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what is this command for: #ip domain-name example.com??
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Or.....

It could be like my lab partner in my Wireless class. I had configured my aironet AP for SSH with no issues. My lab partner on the other hand, he had the same issue that you are having.

Apparently, the AP wanted certain steps done before you could use the login local command.

Set up the username and password first
    then generate your key

At the end of the day.... it very well could just be a limitation of the simulator. I just thought I would throw another suggestion out there.