Options

Help with configuring RIP v 2

mikejj83mikejj83 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am studying for the CCENT and a little confused as to entering network statements for RIP v2. I know RIP v2 is a classless protocol but am confused as to when I enter networks if I should enter them in their classfull form. I have seen conflicting info.

For example, if I have a router with two serial interfaces that I want to enable rip on and the IP’s are 10.1.1.1 and 172.1.1.1 would I enter the following network statements under RIP v2:
Network 10.0.0.0
Network 172.1.0.0
Or would I enter the entire IP addresses? Also would I then need to enter the no autosummary command so the networks are advertised with their full length IP’s?

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    R1#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
    R1(config)#router rip
    R1(config-router)#network 1.1.1.1
    R1(config-router)#do show run
    router rip
     network 1.0.0.0

You can enter the network command with the classless network address, but it'll truncate it down to the classful network. When doing an exam I would enter the classful address.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikejj83 wrote: »
    Also would I then need to enter the no autosummary command so the networks are advertised with their full length IP’s?

Yes. Keep in mind that auto-summary only applies when crossing classful network boundaries. So if a router was going to advertise the network 10.1.1.0/24 across the link 192.168.1.0/24 it would be summarized, but if it were to be advertised across the link 10.2.2.0/24 it would not be summarized.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Yes. Keep in mind that auto-summary only applies when crossing classful network boundaries. So if a router was going to advertise the network 10.1.1.0/24 across the link 192.168.1.0/24 it would be summarized, but if it were to be advertised across the link 10.2.2.0/24 it would not be summarized.

That is really good to know. Rep for you.