BES anyone?

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've been hit with the task of building and configuring a BES for a Govt department. Problem is I know as much about Blackberry Servers as I do about John Mayer.

Does anyone know of any CBTs that I can use for cramming. A bit short on time so I need to zap it in, Matrix style.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dude, you clearly don't know John Mayer if you're using him in a reference like that. I could never pick out one of his songs, but he's freaking hilarious. He's got a decent sleeve too (I like that style anyway).

As far as BES goes, their official docs are probably the best resource, unless something else has come out since I checked last.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Problem is I know as much about Blackberry Servers as I do about John Mayer.

Intimately?

icon_lol.gif

Seriously, I think only RIM puts on classes for this thing. That I know of anyway.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Couple of do's and don'ts.

Do try to put it on it's own dedicated OS instance whether it be physical or virtual.

Do be mindful of versioning compared to your messaging server.

Don't install it in the same SQL instances as other apps.

Don't let it go without regular patching.

Do test Exchange patches in a lab with BES before deploying the patches out to production. Patches in the past for Exchange have been known to blow BES up.

For more info about John Mayer's hilariousness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES3wFlpwjiM
    Good luck to all!
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    HeroPsycho wrote: »

Do try to put it on it's own dedicated OS instance whether it be physical or virtual.

Why is this?

Seems like it would be more stable when installed against an OS that has nothing else installed on it.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BES installation is one of the easiest installations out there and yet it is constantly screwed up because people don't bother to read the documentation. As stated, read through the install guides from RIM and you will not have any issues whatsoever.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Why is this?

Seems like it would be more stable when installed against an OS that has nothing else installed on it.

Right, do this. icon_wink.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips, HeroPyscho.

This is what I was afraid of; naff all study guides, let alone CBTs.

As for John Mayer, I have no idea he who is. Acts like a Nance for the girls I think?
    Although I read on the weekend he proved himself the douchebag by thinking he be black.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Although I read on the weekend he proved himself the douchebag by thinking he be black.

Lol so true.
    I'm not wild about his music, but do watch the link above. Promise you'll at least like him a little bit after watching that. icon_lol.gif

"You'll get there when you sell out!"
    Good luck to all!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Couple of do's and don'ts.

Do be mindful of versioning compared to your messaging server.

Don't install it in the same SQL instances as other apps.

Don't let it go without regular patching.

Do test Exchange patches in a lab with BES before deploying the patches out to production. Patches in the past for Exchange have been known to blow BES up.

I agree with all of these.

One of our BES servers is on our Exchange box, and it's slow as all hell.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree with all of these.

One of our BES servers is on our Exchange box, and it's slow as all hell.
    And totally unsupported. ;)

mikedisd2 there are official self-study guides available through Element K. I can send you a link if you can't find them - each one is 500 pages or so and is well written. With that said, the official docs cover everything you need to know too.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    astorrs wrote: »
    And totally unsupported. ;)

I resemble that remark.

Btw, BES' are not racist, nor have they had relations with Jessica Simpson.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You should be able to call Blackberry support when you do the install and have them assist you.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

Wow this guy is pretty funny. I just assumed he was a stiff like Jason Priestley or whoever.
    "You'll know it when you sell out". Good stuff.
    I'm gonna run through the halls of medicine
    I'm gonna breathe with ALL OF MY LUNGS!
    I just found out there's no such thing as congestion!

How awesome is a guy willing to parody his own music. I don't like his music much, but he's a funny dude.

P.S. Pro-bono pro-bongo?
    Good luck to all!