Good bye old faithful Access Router 2511

2»

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2001 is the line for the first octal cable.

If you're consoling into your access server, its easiest to set up your access server to use the loopback address and shift in and out of each session with the ctrl-^-x (ctrl shift 6 x).

Once you have that working -- try the telnet from your pc using YOUR IP ADDRESS 192.168.15.217 and port 2001 from your PC.

If you suddenly want to randomly change your existing and hopefully working configuration -- then you're not trying what I'm telling you to do.

telnet 192.168.15.217:2001 from a PC command window, if that access server ethernet is accessable on your home network, should connect that telnet session to your R1 console port session. If that works, then set up your tabs in you GUI telnet client using the "other ports" 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005.... Of course, your R1 router has to be powered on for this to work.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    itdaddy wrote: »
    iT WORKS like you said it would mike holy crap i telnet into
    Okay -- you can disregard my last post. It sounds like you figured it out (or tried it and found it worked) while I was typing. icon_lol.gif

SEE!!!! That's what we've been talking about. icon_cheers.gif

Telnet access to a console port session (via the terminal server).

You can now access your lab routers console ports from any telnet client on your home network -- or any PC/Laptop that can access your home network via VPN, or PC/Laptop that can access your access server via telnet passed through your firewall (or SSH v1 which the 2511 could support).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    omg mike I am so pumped it is so freaking cool and one day when I have my 30 inch monitor then I can have 16 open telnet sessions now that is freaking cool...omg and I am able to save each session and bring them up with a click and bam login to each and done..so freaking cool to
    just click on tabs to each device vs my old ctrl+shift, 6,x crap I hated that and thought there has to be a better way....now I know the way of the jedi cisco warrior! haahahah thank so much!icon_cheers.gif

and that is how I feel to! nite bud! ;) appreciate all your help really :D
  • CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    Thanks mike! I was trying to find a way to increase my vty lines as well since I can only see line vty 0 4.
    see mikej my dumb questions do help others hahaha
    ahhahahaa hhahhahaaha I had to say that one! haahaa
    hahahhicon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    Well, I did actually ask about it in page one. However, I mistakenly asked about the line 1 16 rather than asking about line vty lines.

We use ZOC at work and the key mapping and tabbed telnet/ssh are the ones that I like. Though, I still use putty because, as what Forsaken_GA pointed out, you can see what's going on with the other routers/switches simultaneously.
    CSCOnoob

hey bud I was just laughing cause sometimes I ask maybe simple/dumbicon_redface.gif questions but I dont work with any experts so I need to make sure I am not going off the deep end..

yeah I love the tabbed interface and if I had a screen 30" monitor
    yeah looking at all 16 of my devices would be cool and well I will have to try that at home I do have a 22" monitor but In need big fonts to see the screen I cannot read the default 8 point fonts on the putty software.

but I guess I can open up 4 rouetrs and put them in the four corners of my montior that will be something I do ..thanks fo rthe good ideas
    -icon_thumright.gif
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    meh, I don't even need a big screen to appreciate multiple windows

This is what my terminal setup looks like on my 15inch laptop. I have terminal set to open the 4 terms in white by default at startup, the green ones are additional ones I've spawned for whatever reason (in this case, I'm working with 5 routers, so I need another window)
  • suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    meh, I don't even need a big screen to appreciate multiple windows

This is what my terminal setup looks like on my 15inch laptop. I have terminal set to open the 4 terms in white by default at startup, the green ones are additional ones I've spawned for whatever reason (in this case, I'm working with 5 routers, so I need another window)

That brings back memories when I was on my Macbook Pro!

Nowadays I just use screen on a linux box.
  • ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
    I didn't realize that I could telnet directly to the serial port on my access server. I have around 15 routers/switches in my basement that I use for my studies.

Being able to telnet directly to my equipment - as compared to doing everything on the access server sounded wonderful!

Using your suggestions I found that I could...

telnet 192.168.1.140 2035

where 2035 was one of my routers.

I loved this as I setup SecureCRT and played around with the tabs and it's working now.

I can either have seperate windows OR have them in tabs. I LOVE IT!

Thank you for bringing me up to speed!

Your friend,
    Paul
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    I dont get what the hype is over an AS in a lab scenario. Its one extra device in your network that must be on in order to access other devices .. I get in for the real world scenario in case out of band access is out but in the lab??

I have an access server. its collecting dust. I turn on what i need, telnet .. done. no need to have the AS running.. but hey.. to each its own.

I use putty.. noticed something about putty connection manager.. gotta check that out ..
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    tokhss wrote: »
    I dont get what the hype is over an AS in a lab scenario. Its one extra device in your network that must be on in order to access other devices .. I get in for the real world scenario in case out of band access is out but in the lab??

I have an access server. its collecting dust. I turn on what i need, telnet .. done. no need to have the AS running.. but hey.. to each its own.

I use putty.. noticed something about putty connection manager.. gotta check that out ..

If you blank you topology and start over a lot (which I tend to do!) you need console access. If you “break” your WAN links, you need console access as telneting directly to the device isn’t going to work. I use reverse telnet to the AS, and SecureCRT w/tabs and honestly couldn’t live without it! Plus it’s easy to make a device that’s already on (like your FR switch) double as an Access Server.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    The Frame switch i can understand.. but there have been many times where I didnt need PRI or Frame , but rather Ethernet to get things done in a lab setup.. specially with ICT between clusters . or ITSP configs / troubleshooting,.

Right now, i can honestly say i dont need one in the lab. Pit. how often do you wipe clean your config ? lol i cant imagine you do it on a weekly basis to need an AS running all the time?

anyhow, its not my place to tell someone they dont need one.. im just saying, its not for me in a lab setup. I have 2 serials connections via usb and thats all i need if was to do a full wipe. Other than that, my ssh/telnet sessions are static for the most part.. if i break wan due to a routing config or something stupid i did, i normally have redundant links to my devices and telnet through tthem.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My lab was locked away in the main coms room at work, 1/4 of a mile across site, access server is a god send, having to god for a trek due to a a typo makes up for the extra device.

Also I am always wiping and starting from scratch, as I use my lab both to test our work stuff and to study, so have SecureCRT scritps that will rip one config of and replace with another in miniutes. not having console access to the devices and it would not be possible.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Your lab being a distance away compared to an arms reach makes sense.. im talking about home labs.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tokhss wrote: »
    Your lab being a distance away compared to an arms reach makes sense.. im talking about home labs.

I agree if its in the same room a patch panel works the same (means you dont have to fumble around behind the back)

still though it can be nice to have several consoles open at once, but i would not pay more much to have a access server, i was brought mine ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Meh, for me, fumbling around with 12 separate console connections is kind of lame =) Of course, I don’t like power cords either so I use switched PDUs :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ctrl+shift,6, x which can get old...from my access router 2511..
    and sometimes I cannot connect for some reason sometimes from my 2511 and have to reinitialize my reverse telnet configs with cut and past. then it works again.

You can get around ctrl-shift-6 x with this command

Router#terminal escape-character 122 or (with the newer routers) Router#terminal escape-character Z

This particular command makes Z the escape character.

After issuing it, you can use zx instead of ctrl-shift-6x

I have this shortcut set up on my 2511

Router<config>#alias exec c0 terminal escape-character 122

Now I only need to type c then zero to make zx work as the terminal escape character.

:)
  • ThroneThrone Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    omg mike I am so pumped it is so freaking cool and one day when I have my 30 inch monitor then I can have 16 open telnet sessions now that is freaking cool...omg and I am able to save each session and bring them up with a click and bam login to each and done..so freaking cool to
    just click on tabs to each device vs my old ctrl+shift, 6,x crap I hated that and thought there has to be a better way....now I know the way of the jedi cisco warrior! haahahah thank so much!icon_cheers.gif

and that is how I feel to! nite bud! ;) appreciate all your help really :D

Hey I know its been a minute since you have post on this topic, but quick question what was your physical set up to the access server was it through console or was it through ethernet using the AUI? Because my set up is fine using the access server right now through console, but of course I want the tabs and cant figure this part out.