What should I know about AD and DNS?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm heading out for an interview this week and nervousness is building up.

I just wanted to see the most important things I must know about AD and DNS. I just don't wanna lose a potential job 'cause I didn't answer a theoretical question.

Comments

• ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Fine, if you think posting possible questions is a **** then I'll delete it. I think that's about the dumbest thing I've heard though to be honest. But hey, let's stop posting in the English language because that is a **** as well.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Yes, let's all invalidate tech screenings by posting questions typically asked at them. It's not at all like **** for exams...

Come on guys, **** are ****, it's not only wrong for exams...
    Good luck to all!
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    ElvisG wrote: »
    Fine, if you think posting possible questions is a **** then I'll delete it. I think that's about the dumbest thing I've heard though to be honest. But hey, let's stop posting in the English language because that is a **** as well.

I agree with Hero.

Giving someone quick and easy answers to specific interview questions is falsifying their preparedness for the job.

Granted, I wish the OP the best. But if he truly isnt a good match for the position then learning a few trivia questions right before walking in for the interview isnt a good idea.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While I'd tend to agree with what HP and Hyper said and would never condone the use of ****, do a search on Wikipedia for Active Directory and DNS. You shouldnt really have posted this question, this is what Google is for.

Reading up before an interview to brush up your knowledge doesnt really constitute dumping, atleast in my books. Of course, people might think otherwise. Come on guys, the man needs a job, kids to fees, mortgage to pay and the like...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Essendon wrote: »
    While I'd tend to agree with what HP and Hyper said and would never condone the use of ****, do a search on Wikipedia for Active Directory and DNS. You shouldnt really have posted this question, this is what Google is for.

Reading up before an interview to brush up your knowledge doesnt really constitute dumping, atleast in my books. Of course, people might think otherwise. Come on guys, the man needs a job, kids to fees, mortgage to pay and the like...

Like I said i wish him the best.

But if he really doesnt know the material then simply cramming a few facts into his brain just to get a job wont do any good if he cant actually end up doing the job once he has it (not saying this is the case, particularly).

You need to be a good match for the job as much as the job needs to be a good match for you.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Although the question is asked weird, I don't think this is THAT big of a deal...

You guys are making this a little too sensitive.

To the OP, what exactly are you looking for? Do you want to know what someone COULD ask you? I can give you an example if that helps.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll chip in with some questions I might ask if I were interviewing someone for a junior position.

1. Explain how a domain name is resolved, as in explain how the query goes out and what comes back.
    2. How do you clear the DNS cache on the server/client?
    3. What's an A record?
    4. How can you (re)register your client's record on the DNS server?
    5. You cannot see the Local Users and Groups on a server, why?
    6. If you update some attribute of an object on a DC, do you need to update it on other DC's too? Why?
    7. How do you join a client to a domain?
    8. How do you reset passwords for domain users?

I'd expect the person to answer most or all of these.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Wow!

I came to check the responses and I'm very surprised not because of the way few of you have replied, but because how WRONG you have been judging my post! Before I get into details, let me give you a piece of advice: DO not judge, espeically if you don't know someone. Do not assume. Thanks to those who tried to correct the assumers.

Did you assume I was going to get the answer to some AD and DNS questions and go for an interview? Did you assume I know nothing about AD and DNS? Did you assume the company who interviewed me was going to ask me book questions? While I'm not trying to judge anybody, I think those who read too much into my posting may have little idea about what goes on in an actual IT panel interview.

Please don't read too much into postings, this is not a philosophy or gossip forum. Specific technical questions are asked and they need specific answers.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    ElvisG literally posted what looked like a comprehensive **** of tech screening questions about a myriad of topics. It was unequivocally a bank of tech screening questions without a doubt numbering probably around 100 questions. Please don't assume that I was implying anything about you.

I have a problem with people doing that. Just seems very hypocritical to slam **** but be perfectly okay with that. It's intellectually dishonest.

Trying to get an idea of the style of questions is one thing. That's equivalent of something like Transcender. Posting what looks like an actual complete bank of them I can't see how anyone can differentiate that with exam ****.

And please, don't justify it with "the guy needs a job". That's the "poor me" excuse for cheaters on exams, too.

Again, to the OP, what I posted wasn't in reaction to you.
    Good luck to all!
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What type of a job are you applying for? If you are going to be responsible for a domain (AKA Sys Admin), you should know DNS & AD really well. Can't really get more specific without knowing what you will be doing.