Options

Advice please folks

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Advice please folks

Hi all,

Ive got mcsa and mcitp enterprise server and find it difficult to remember information as I do not use these day to day. I wanted to do these as a personal goal as was not for a long time due to personal difficulties.

I used server software, books and nuggets to study so have good grounding

Ive msca on cv so im getting all mcsa questions on interviews - obviously I know

Am I better leaving mcsa off and putting maybe 1 or 2 individual certs there as it will:

1 Probably cut down on amount of interviews I get as most look for mcsa/mcse/ccna but I am constantly studing to keep my information fresh

2 I will l get questions at lower level for interviews I do get

What ye think

Thanks
Noel

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Noel, I don't mean to offend with this comment, but I find your message very hard to follow.

If I understand your question properly I have to say no. Don't take the MCSA/MCITP off your CV. Where I find things difficult is you say you find it hard to remember things as you do not use these skills on a daily basis but then you end your sentence about the interview questions with "I know." But what do you know? You know the answers? You don't know the answers but you know that you should expect this level of questioning?

If the issue is that you don't feel prepared for the interview as you have lost knowledge from lack of use then I would suggest you start reviewing questions via test prep software and example interview questions on the web.

I can really understand where you are coming from as I used to have very good MCSE level knowledge but have lost a ton of it from lack of use.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Why would you short change yourself? If you earned the cert, list it. But don't lie about your experience either. If anything, it shows you are dedicated to advancing your career on your own time.

It is the employer's job to decide if you are qualified for the position, or have the ability to learn the job. This is why I don't agree with people who put "looking for Junior ________ role." List your experience, certs, degree, etc and let the company decide what level you are at. Companies will gladly give you Junior level pay, but give you work that is more advanced than a typical Junior level role because they get the same labor cheaper that way.

As stated, you might want to focus on communicating clear and concise thoughts. Your post is pretty difficult to understand.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi there

Thanks for that

What I mean is that I know that I will get mcsa type questions if I put down mcsa on cv

On another note after an interview is it a good idea to call the company and speak to the interviewer for feedback- should this be done next day or after HR have contacted to say I did not get job. I would do this to show interest in company for future positions

Thanks all
    Noel
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    noel123ie wrote: »
    Hi there

Thanks for that

What I mean is that I know that I will get mcsa type questions if I put down mcsa on cv

On another note after an interview is it a good idea to call the company and speak to the interviewer for feedback- should this be done next day or after HR have contacted to say I did not get job. I would do this to show interest in company for future positions

Thanks all
    Noel
    I wouldn't ask for feedback at all since almost nobody will provide it, but if you insist to ask then do it after getting rejected. I consider myself lucky if HR is nice enough to not leave me hanging and actually bothers to sends the rejection notice.

One thing you should do after the interview is write and mail thank you cards to the interviewers. You can search online for example cards. Make sure to write it in Word and have someone proofread it before writing it on the card since you wouldn't want to be rejected because of bad grammar and spelling on a thank you card.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV